• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any 6mm creedmore devotees ?

willbird

I have a lot of experience with 6-284 in a bolt action. That gun is a 1-8 twist and shoots well sub 1/2 moa from bipod with bullets from 107 to 75 grains. The "twist too fast for light bullets" does not seem to matter a bit for that rifle, it will run a 75 vmax 3500 fps or so.

Thinking about building a short, light, handy 6mm creedmore for woodchucks.

Bill

I shot a buddy's PRS rifle chambered in 6 Creedmoor the weekend before New Years. What a cartridge! Something like 8 mils of drop at 1,000 yards, IIRC.

6.5 CM is almost 10 mils, .308 Win is almost 11 mils.

Never in all my shooting have I fired at a target further than 250(ish) yards away with any confidence of hitting my target. With that rifle, I was reliably and repeatably making hits on steel out to 1,200 yards.

My next large-frame build will be chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. If I can convince the wife, I'll probably end up with a bolt gun in 6mm Creedmoor, too...

6 hours ago, COBrien said:

I shot a buddy's PRS rifle chambered in 6 Creedmoor the weekend before New Years. What a cartridge! Something like 8 mils of drop at 1,000 yards, IIRC.

6.5 CM is almost 10 mils, .308 Win is almost 11 mils.

That's weird - the numbers.  Not saying they're off, they are probably on the money.  The weird parts is my .260 Rem load - it's 8.5 mils at 1,000 and 10.0 mils at 1,100.

9 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

I have a 6.5, how do the two compare?

Pretty much 6mm creedmore is 6.5  necked down :-). Far more varmint style bullets for 6mm...all the way down to 55 grains but I prefer 75 grains or so. The varmint 6mm stuff brings a higher BC to the table than a .224 varmint bullet typically. if you can get a 75 vmax to 3700 or so (the 6mm creedmore will not) it has about the same impact energy at 400 yards as 220 swift does at the muzzle :-). A 6mm 55 grain nosler ballistic tip actually has a higher BC than a .224 55 grain ballistic tip, and internal ballistics suggest equal or higher velocity from same case volume and pressure ??

The 6mm varmint stuff hits so hard it gets addictive :-). 

Heavier bullets with more BC really perform at longer ranges, but for 300-400 yards the lighter stuff is less likely to bounce off somewhere on the exit side of the target, IMHO

Bill

Edited by willbird

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's it, right there...   :thumbup:

That audible "WACK" when the bullets hit :-). I hunt at a friends house and the house is at the other end of an 80 acre farm from where the marmots live, when I stop back at the house he can tell me how many rounds I fired and how many marmots I hit or missed :-).

98's 260 would probably work great if say Nosler or Hornady made some lighter varmint oriented bullets. There is a 90 grain 6.5 Speer TNT that has a .281 BC. 95 vmax is .365 BC...google is saying 3200fps from a 22" barrel. 

the 87 grain 6mm vmax is hitting a .400 BC tho :-).

One thing does not preclude the other :-), maybe a 260 and a 6mm something both :-).