• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So now the LR .308

PaddyMac

OK, without the rear takedown pin installed, does everything look correct? Gaps all line up? close up all the way? If no, maybe takedown pocket not deep enough. If yes, I've seen slotted rear takedown holes, no big deal. Takedown is the "Give" when aligning the 3 points of 80% frames, front pivot and extension tube the other two.

9 hours ago, PaddyMac said:

I'm thinking Toolcraft. I'm gonna call Heavy Buffers for the tube, spring, and buffer. I

Toolcraft Yes.

I like the Armalite recoil kit.

Edited by Albroswift

Progress - A little oil, a delrin drift, and a plastic coated hammer were all it took to mate things up! 😬 Are the pins tight? YES, especially the rear. But with a couple of in and out moves its loosening up. I'll work it some more tonight. The fit is excellent IMO. No movement anywhere whatsoever. It locks up like a champ. Here are some pics.

image.thumb.png.3858a3b18cbe11e6612d2f9b2ff38542.png

Mated

image.png.f96cc0b8eb7c899d04f0b42d77f894b5.png

Aero fit to the lower

image.png.fc3e81bba9a1ad1579419ec08aefb24d.png

Tang - the fit is much better than it looks. No light passes through anywhere

image.thumb.png.faff31188bb874bda471b53d4e433973.png

Gas tube - nice machining on the upper

On 4/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, Albroswift said:

I like the Armalite recoil kit.

My only question here is it the correct spring and buffer for a DPMS build? Other threads have said that Armalite and DPMS approached things differently. DPMS using a stiffer spring and a lighter and smaller sized buffer to work with AR15 parts. 

If you use the armalite recoil system the gun will run providing the gas port is the right size. I have built 2 308 pistols using the armalite parts and all I had to do was get the proper amount of gas to the recoil system for them to run well. Takes the guess work out of the equation.

9 minutes ago, PaddyMac said:

My only question here is it the correct spring and buffer for a DPMS build? Other threads have said that Armalite and DPMS approached things differently. DPMS using a stiffer spring and a lighter and smaller sized buffer to work with AR15 parts. 

The ArmaLite recoil system works very well with DPMS. The distinction is that ArmaLite did it first, and very well, which is well demonstrated by the fact that their recoil system will work well in a DPMS.