• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR308 Short Barrel, Long Gas? Discussion/Build

A.James

14 minutes ago, A.James said:

Thanks guys. I suppose I was trying to hit a homer on the first pitch... high hopes? Yeah I think so, but the higher we set our goals, the greater heights we can achieve.

Every rookie season for someone in the MLB, they say that, right?  They dream it.  How many of them actually really do it?  It's few and far between. 

I think you're worrying about things that you don't need to worry about, for right now.  Hell, you don't even have it, so how do you know how you want it to shoot - before you've even shot it?  How are YOU going to react when you shoot it?  That's an unknown, right now.  You might build something that takes you years to learn how to shoot well.  It happens. I can tell you right now, for sure, it takes years of shooting and training to lay down behind a new gun, and shoot that thing at 1k yards - and not be far off.  Years of shooting and training to know what to do to make that second round even closer, or eventually hit, with a new gun.  That's a different world altogether, yet we build guns with that as the primary goal.  They don't always do what we plan, or think they're gonna do, once we pull that trigger. You have to know THAT bit of data first, though, before you can move forward with your plan...  :thumbup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Every rookie season for someone in the MLB, they say that, right?  They dream it.  How many of them actually really do it?  It's few and far between. 

I think you're worrying about things that you don't need to worry about, for right now.  Hell, you don't even have it, so how do you know how you want it to shoot - before you've even shot it?  How are YOU going to react when you shoot it?  That's an unknown, right now.  You might build something that takes you years to learn how to shoot well.  It happens. I can tell you right now, for sure, it takes years of shooting and training to lay down behind a new gun, and shoot that thing at 1k yards - and not be far off.  Years of shooting and training to know what to do to make that second round even closer, or eventually hit, with a new gun.  That's a different world altogether, yet we build guns with that as the primary goal.  They don't always do what we plan, or think they're gonna do, once we pull that trigger. You have to know THAT bit of data first, though, before you can move forward with your plan...  :thumbup:

Thank you sir!

2 minutes ago, A.James said:

Thank you sir!

No need to Sir me - I'm just a regular guy like you and everybody else.  I'm lucky enough to have two ex-wives that I don't have to pay for - and FREEDOM now from all their bullshiit.  Also lucky for the Freedom of space and land nearby, that I can do anything I want on.  Freedom to do what I like to do.  I'm lucky, and I take advantage of it, and I try to pass on everything that I have to learn the hard way, so others don't have to learn it so hard...    :thumbup:

20 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

No need to Sir me - I'm just a regular guy like you and everybody else.  I'm lucky enough to have two ex-wives that I don't have to pay for - and FREEDOM now from all their bullshiit.  Also lucky for the Freedom of space and land nearby, that I can do anything I want on.  Freedom to do what I like to do.  I'm lucky, and I take advantage of it, and I try to pass on everything that I have to learn the hard way, so others don't have to learn it so hard...    :thumbup:

Southern habits die hard... sir.

I’m a little jealous of your space freedom, but maybe third time’s the charm - they say! 😉 

Thank you, regardless of your modesty, you definitely do your part on this forum. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

Hey man, you can still get this barrel:

95B9E003-A1A0-429D-860B-FA278B99223B.jpeg

Fulton Armory no longer has it produced to their specs, By Krieger Criterion.  Criterion is not with Krieger any longer, either.  Criterion still makes this barrel, with very few minor changes - here's a link:

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/large-frame-ar/dpms-pattern-308-hybrid-barrel-rifle-gas-stainless/

HYR-1016S-1018S-1020S-600x600.png

It's every single bit, a true match grade barrel. That's why you see the pricetag on it like that.  FWIW, that was the original price of the Fulton Armory barrel, too. It hasn't inflated over time.

This is the exact 18.5" barrel that I have in my Mk11 build that I linked to in this thread - this is THE barrel.  @Matt.Cross has this barrel, too, if I'm not mistaken.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/large-frame-ar/m118lr-308-win-7-62x51-nato/fulton-armory-medium-contour-18-5-308-ar-barrel/

fa-tu-003-600x600.jpg

Most accurate .308 Win AR barrel that I own.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hey man, you can still get this barrel:

95B9E003-A1A0-429D-860B-FA278B99223B.jpeg

Fulton Armory no longer has it produced to their specs, By Krieger Criterion.  Criterion is not with Krieger any longer, either.  Criterion still makes this barrel, with very few minor changes - here's a link:

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/large-frame-ar/dpms-pattern-308-hybrid-barrel-rifle-gas-stainless/

HYR-1016S-1018S-1020S-600x600.png

It's every single bit, a true match grade barrel. That's why you see the pricetag on it like that.  FWIW, that was the original price of the Fulton Armory barrel, too. It hasn't inflated over time.

This is the exact 18.5" barrel that I have in my Mk11 build that I linked to in this thread - this is THE barrel.  @Matt.Cross has this barrel, too, if I'm not mistaken.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/large-frame-ar/m118lr-308-win-7-62x51-nato/fulton-armory-medium-contour-18-5-308-ar-barrel/

fa-tu-003-600x600.jpg

Most accurate .308 Win AR barrel that I own.  :thumbup:

Awesome! Yeah I was looking into that barrel specifically. 1016S-HYR I believe the part number is. Thanks for the recommendation! Found it for around two ninety, you think that’s a decent price?

2 hours ago, A.James said:

Awesome! Yeah I was looking into that barrel specifically. 1016S-HYR I believe the part number is. Thanks for the recommendation! Found it for around two ninety, you think that’s a decent price?

Yeah, that's very good on the price.  Back when Fulton Armory stocked it (decade ago just about), Fulton would have their largest sale of the year on President's Day, and that barrel would be right around $275.