• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New build failure to feed

Hey all I recently got my first ar and got out today to put the first rounds through it. It seemed to work just fine for about the first 15 shots then started failing to feed every single shot, the bolt was also not staying open when mag emptied.

Seems to me the bolt stopped traveling far enough back to catch a new cartridge or hit the bolt stop, it was however ejecting the fired round. From what ive read most people would seem to suggest a gas block/tube or buffer issue but that fact it was working with the first few shots makes me think otherwise. I also read some people suggesting it should be excessively oiled for a new build to break in. Being my first ar I played around with it a bit and took it apart a few times without re oiling and it was fairly dry when it was failing, curious if anyone thinks a lack of oil could cause such issues?

I should also mention I was shooting federal 149 gr fmj 7.62 nato not 308 win, however everything ive seen says that is fine. Ill do my best to list parts and apologize for any lack of info as I dont know a lot about the ar platform. Appreciate any help offered. 

stag 10 upper and lower w/ lower parts kit

aero precision m5 308 carbine buffer(spring is 11" long, buffer is 2.5" and weighs 3.8 oz)

magpul acs adaptable carbine milspec stock

faxxon firearms BCG, QPQ nitride

Ballistic advantage 20"heavy barrel 4150 cmv, rifle length gas

strike industries enhanced low profile gas block, 0.750"

Lantac nitride gas tube, rifle length

running magpul pmags

3 minutes ago, LikeMyPewPews said:

curious if anyone thinks a lack of oil could cause such issues?

You can drain the oil from your engine, then start it with no oil in it.  It's gonna start and run just fine. 

For a minute...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You can drain the oil from your engine, then start it with no oil in it.  It's gonna start and run just fine. 

For a minute...

yeah thats kind of what I was thinking, I suppose the slightly lower chamber pressure of the nato round also didnt help. I plan on cleaning and oiling it up real good before changing out any parts, unfortunately I cant get out too often to shoot it at the moment so figured id pick the brains on the forum before i get a chance to go out again. Hoping its that easy of a fix.

Oil never hurts these machines. Especially during their break-in process. These aren't AR-15's. They're their own animal. Just because they look similar, doesn't mean they work the same way.

Sounds like you're on the right track my man. Just remember to run them "wet" at first. It'll work out.

8 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I would not rule out the gas block as the problem.  If it was not torqued properly when installed, it may have been aligned initially but moved with increased heat and recoil.  I had this exact problem with a 223 complete upper build.  It took me a couple of tries to get it to stay put.

yeah that will definitely be my next option to look at if the issues persist with a good oiling, the block itself does seem fastened well though and the tube is ending where it should from what ive read(half way into the cutout where it would meet the bcg)

10 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Oil never hurts these machines. Especially during their break-in process. These aren't AR-15's. They're their own animal. Just because they look similar, doesn't mean they work the same way.

Sounds like you're on the right track my man. Just remember to run them "wet" at first. It'll work out.

Appreciate it, makes me feel a little better this is hopefully an easy fix