• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel finishing

mac83

Anybody know whether or not I can have a black oxide finish applyied to a stainless steel barrel?  I know they can't be blued, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

I recieved a 5.56 stainless barrel from Rainier Arms with their black oxide finish.  I asked if they could do it to my .308, but they said they would have to apply gunkote.

If it can't be done, what color duracoat, ceracote, or guncote, would match this the closest? Which product do you prefer.  I've used Duracoat, but not on any high temp locations.

One of the bake on applications should work fine (I think ceracote?)

You can go a much, MUCH, cheaper route though. Rough up the finish with some fine grit paper then hit the barrel with some black furnace paint. Your barrel will never get hot enough to burn that off. An extra coat or two will guarantee a longer lasting finish... And if you do manage to scratch it... Paint it again!

I thought about going that route as well.  I was leaning more towards the other since I already have an air brush/ compressor, and would only have the cost of materials.  I definitley do not feel like shelling out $70+shipping for a finish that I can just as easily do in my garage.