• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

correct spring and buffer for a DPMS Gen 2 recon

shrade

I have a gen 2 recon that came equipped with a 7" carbine extension and a 3.8oz buffer. The gun runs fine but the recoil seems a bit sharp. From what I have read in this forum the ideal buffer set up is an Armalite tube , spring and a 5.4 oz. buffer. Armalite is out of stock for these items. Looks like another option too get a heavy enough buffer and the correct spring for a 7" extension  is a 5.5 oz. Car-10 buffer and "modified" armalite spring from Clint at Heavy Bufffers. Will this combo work as well as the Armalite set-up? 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my  Car-10 buffer and new spring installed, and went to the range. ran about 50 rounds, thing ran like a champ. Dumped  all the brass in a 3' diameter pile about 10' from the bench at about 3:00. This rifle has rally liked Federal Fusion 150's, have taken two white tail with that load. Got it zeroed with this load about 1-1/2" high at 100yds. Had two rounds left, stuffed them in the mag pulled the trigger rifle fired both rounds! Got the rifle home removed the POF trigger expecting to find the disconector damaged or broken. looked fine functioned fine on the bench. Probably only fired 50 rounds before today with this trigger, no signs of wear, crud or dirt. Any Ideas? 

I run into that once in a while, I think,  sometimes,  its bolt slam bouncing the disconnector. 

Milspec fcg?

Happens on lighter guns, guns with solid buffers, blowbacks with heavy solid buffers, bottom half of the magazine when top half no problem. 

But then,  who knows?

Edited by Albroswift

12 hours ago, Albroswift said:

I run into that once in a while, I think,  sometimes,  its bolt slam bouncing the disconnector. 

Milspec fcg?

Happens on lighter guns, guns with solid buffers, blowbacks with heavy solid buffers, bottom half of the magazine when top half no problem. 

But then,  who knows?

Albroswift: I think you are correct, it may have the disc. bouncing. Could a heavier disc. spring be installed to reduce this? Your thoughts.

Drop-in cartridge triggers don't usually have this problem.  This is usually a mistake made by people installing mil-spec triggers, from parts - and they usually install the bolt catch spring into the trigger disconnector, or vice-versa - or install the disconnect spring backwards, or install the bolt catch spring backwards.  That's always a fun time to diagnose that stuff. 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 8:16 PM, shrade said:

Got my  Car-10 buffer and new spring installed, and went to the range. ran about 50 rounds, thing ran like a champ. Dumped  all the brass in a 3' diameter pile about 10' from the bench at about 3:00. This rifle has rally liked Federal Fusion 150's, have taken two white tail with that load. Got it zeroed with this load about 1-1/2" high at 100yds. Had two rounds left, stuffed them in the mag pulled the trigger rifle fired both rounds! Got the rifle home removed the POF trigger expecting to find the disconector damaged or broken. looked fine functioned fine on the bench. Probably only fired 50 rounds before today with this trigger, no signs of wear, crud or dirt. Any Ideas? 

Also have a G2 recon that I bought in 2017 that had similar issues. My stock trigger did the say and what I found was the pull weight was slowly decreasing from about 3.75 when I first got it to about 1 lb when I started having the double. The trigger had gotten so light that it was taking a second hit under recoil. Sent it back for repair, put Geissele SD-E in when it returned and eventually put the replacement DPMS trigger in another build. 

What buffer and spring did you eventually get and where was it available? I've had to put a SA AGB to tame it, especially with a can. Thanks

I went to Heavybuffers.com and bought Clint's Car-10 buffer and spring combo, weight is 5.5 oz. and the spring is matched to the buffer, works like a champ.  He has them in stock if not he manufactures them he will get one built in short order. Get in touch with an email and let him know what you have got , he will have a solution. My trigger issue was with a POF aftermarket trigger not the stock trigger. did find a small dab of grease on the disconnector "hook", cleaned that off, but haven't been to the range since to give it a try. 

good luck.

13 hours ago, shrade said:

I went to Heavybuffers.com and bought Clint's Car-10 buffer and spring combo, weight is 5.5 oz. and the spring is matched to the buffer, works like a champ.  He has them in stock if not he manufactures them he will get one built in short order. Get in touch with an email and let him know what you have got , he will have a solution. My trigger issue was with a POF aftermarket trigger not the stock trigger. did find a small dab of grease on the disconnector "hook", cleaned that off, but haven't been to the range since to give it a try. 

good luck.

Thanks for the info I'll have to contact him sounds like it will be a good move.