• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

same pow two kinds?

sketch

So a while back when I first started reloading      ( the first ammo scare) my shooting partner grabbed up 3 lbs of Imr 7828.. but one canister is ssc (super short cut) ?? Im looking for 338lpm recipes and see the regular loads but not sure how the ssc works or is it the same weight ratios? Help.🍻

20200916_204102.jpg

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/imr-7828-ssc/

Description

This magnum rifle powder has exactly the same burn rate as standard IMR
7828 and uses the same data. However, due to the super short kernels, metering is virtually
as good as a spherical powder. This allows up to 4% more powder space in the case and in
many loads yields more velocity than standard 7828. Such loads are marked with an asterisk
in the data to show where standard 7828 will not fit.

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

As far as I know, I'm the only other guy here reloading .338 Lapua Magnum stuff, and I use Alliant RL-22.  That 7828SC (not your powder, exactly) is a little slower than RL-23, but in between RL-23 and RL-25 (slower than RL-22).  I'm running 87.1 grains of RL-22 for 285gr Hornady ELD-Ms.  I was running 90.0gr for the 225gr Hornady SSTs.  That was for Ron's MRAD. 

Be cautious, brother - starting out handloading, and picking .338 Lapua Magnum as your "starter cartridge" could be a real learning experience.  Load up some 5.56 first - I'm just sayin'... 

You're into some expensive mistakes, if you fuk up the 338LM shiit - where 5.56 is almost a no-penalty affair...  My $0.02 on it...

You'll soon find that a pound of powder makes about 70~75 loaded rounds of .338LM ammo...  it eats alot - ALOT of powder.  In 5.56 heavies, you'll get about 225~250 rounds per pound, in .308 Win, you'll get around 150 rounds per pound. Start on something smaller, and get your feet wet. 

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

As far as I know, I'm the only other guy here reloading .338 Lapua Magnum stuff, and I use Alliant RL-22.  That 7828SC (not your powder, exactly) is a little slower than RL-23, but in between RL-23 and RL-25 (slower than RL-22).  I'm running 87.1 grains of RL-22 for 285gr Hornady ELD-Ms.  I was running 90.0gr for the 225gr Hornady SSTs.  That was for Ron's MRAD. 

Be cautious, brother - starting out handloading, and picking .338 Lapua Magnum as your "starter cartridge" could be a real learning experience.  Load up some 5.56 first - I'm just sayin'... 

You're into some expensive mistakes, if you fuk up the 338LM shiit - where 5.56 is almost a no-penalty affair...  My $0.02 on it...

You'll soon find that a pound of powder makes about 70~75 loaded rounds of .338LM ammo...  it eats alot - ALOT of powder.  In 5.56 heavies, you'll get about 225~250 rounds per pound, in .308 Win, you'll get around 150 rounds per pound. Start on something smaller, and get your feet wet. 

Hi im sketch.. I got my start back in 2016 bro! you're help on 300blk is gold. I've done a couple thousand rounds of .223 that im saving for special occasions. pistol loads in .45 .380 and in between. im good to go bro. just the recent purchase of 338 and highammo price I want to save a buck$ on ammo? I havent loaded 308 yet because I bulked buy on good shits when I joined. silly🍻🇺🇸 yeah so I bought 300 rnds of 338lpm. ughh!  need relode components? I'm not sure if my press will handle 338? 

7 minutes ago, sketch said:

Hi im sketch.. I got my start back in 2016 bro! you're help on 300blk is gold. I've done a couple thousand rounds of .223 that im saving for special occasions. pistol loads in .45 .380 and in between. im good to go bro. just the recent purchase of 338 and highammo price I want to save a buck$ on ammo? I havent loaded 308 yet because I bulked buy on good shits when I joined. silly🍻🇺🇸 yeah so I bought 300 rnds of 338lpm. ughh!  need relode components? I'm not sure if my press will handle 338? 

Standard presses do .338LM just fine - no issues.  You don't get into problems with presses until you try to load 50 BMG, and super-long bitches like that.  Takes a special press for those.  .416 Barrett, .408 CheyTac, .375 CheyTac, and the like. 

So, since you been loading since 2016 - fuckin' get to it, brother...   :laffs:

My 225 SST loads were about 70 cents per load (normal powder prices, then), and I'm just under 2 bucks per load on the 285 ELD-Ms (projectile price is what drives that, nothing else). :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V