• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My journey has beGun. No pun intended. Well maybe a little. Up date, pics added.

Horsemen

After much consideration, I went to my local shop and ordered a Ma-Ten.  Well after waiting for 3 weeks, thinking. I changed the order to include a 2nd upper. Got the call Friday, 3 more weeks, and started the paper work. 10 day wait. “California” Here’s my plan. Build it with a 308 tactical upper, and a medium range 260 Remington upper. See if you would do it another way. This build may take a while, no money tree. It died 2 years ago.

Regards  Mike.

LOWER

1- MA-TEN RECIEVER SET, WITH 2ND UPPER.

2- BUTT STOCK EXTENSION TUBE. RIFLE LENGTH

3- HEAVY BUFFERS AR10R-XH, 10 OUNCE BUFFER0R-XH

4- ArmaLite AR-10 Buffer Springs

5- FULTON ARMORY Lower Receiver Parts Kit, WITHOUT Trigger Parts

6- AR GOLD TRIGGER 308

7- MAGPUL PRS STOCK

8- AR-15/AR-STYLE .308 MAG LOCK BULLET-BUTTON.” CALIFORNIA”

9- TAKE DOWN PINS THAT ARE EASER TO REMOVE.

10- MODIFIED PMAGS FOR 10 and 5 ROUNDS. “CALIFORNIA”

The Tactical Upper.

1- Rainier Arms Select™ .308 Barrel - 16 SS

2- JP Adjustable Gas System. Picatinny rail .750" bore Black Stainless

3- MID LENGTH GAS TUBE

4- JP modular free float hand guard, mid length (9.25” OAL) ,

5- TROY BATTLE SIGHTS

6- Custom Made Muzzle Brake. Design will depend on how the gun fires without one.

7- The Bolt Carrier, There are a few choices here. I think I will go with a Young Manufacturing Carrier, with a JP EnhancedBolt™

Medium Range Upper

1- DPMS barrel 260 Remington 24”

2- RIFLE LENGTH GAS TUBE

3- JP modular free float hand guard, RIFEL length (12.5” OAL) ,

4- TROY BATTLE SIGHT

5- Again, I think I will go with a Young Manufacturing Carrier, with a JP EnhancedBolt™

6- Again a Custom Made Muzzle Brake. Design will depend on how the gun fires without one.

I like where you're going with these builds. You asked for some input, so here's my $0.02...

On you're "tactical" build:

1. Check out brownells.com for stainless 16" Fulton Armory barrels. They make one with a rifle length gas port.

2. For the money you're spending on a JP handguard, I think there are better options for a tactical rifle. Of course there's the common DD or SWS rails, but if modular is your thing, then I say check out the Apex CNC Machine handguards.

3. Muzzle devices. I don't know why you need custom, unless you make these yourself? Check out Battlecomp's BABC, or PWS's fsc30.

4. No need for the JP adjustable gas block on a tactical build... See my reasoning below. (unless you have a silencer)

As for your "med range" build:

The Remington .260 in a 24" barrel is easily a 1,000 yard rifle. I don't know how far you regularly shoot, but that is way beyond my "medium range". My only suggestions are a fluted bull barrel with a Benny Cooley muzzle brake, and the longer (15") JP handguard. It'll give you more real-estate to rest your rifle on a bench, and you can mount a bipod that much further forward. It doesn't say it, but I assume you're putting an adjustable gas block on this upper too.

My personal opinion about gas vs weight, is to gas a target rifle and weight a tactical rifle. I see weight as a heavy object moving inside my rifle, and that may cause complications at long range. Gas is tricky to the point that not enough gas means failure to cycle.

Instead of a massive heavy buffer, I would look into something like the Enidine hydraulic buffer. Then install a carrier weight system on your tactical build. Your medium (long) range build can adjust the gas to reduce felt recoil.

Both uppers will need adjustable gas blocks, correct? That way, I can use the same buffer for both uppers. Meaning that I will be adjusting the barrels to the one buffer. I do have a mill and lathe, I love to make things in my spare time. Muzzle brakes are not hard to fab. I have done several for some of my bolt guns. I was thinking of making my own buffer, up to 10 oz range, but the hydraulic buffer looks possibly like what I would want, might give it a go.  A suppresser would be nice, but are bad ju ju here in California. As for, how far can I shoot. I have access to 2500 Ackers. We can shoot 1000 yards. When it comes time for the barrels, all recommendations will be considered. This is far from being set in stone.

regards Mike

• 1 month later...

The lower is done.  Here are the specs so far.

MA-TEN matched set with a second upper

Standard DPMS small parts.

Bad Ass ambi safety

Geissele DMR trigger

DPMS 308 Buffer

Tubs Flat wire spring

Magpul MOE grip and PRS stock

California stuff-Modified PMAGS 3-10 rounders, and 1- 5 Rounder. Bullet Button Convertible.

DSCN0079.jpg

Here is the 260 upper, so far.

DPMS 260 bull barrel

On order- PRI gas block and tube. Troy TRX FFT, Duracoat MP dark earth.  Next week we will be a painting.  The next and last part to complete the 1ST upper is the bolt carrier. It will have to wait until after My Vegas trip. If I’m not broke. <dontknow>

DSCN0081.jpg