• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero M5 and M5 Enhanced upper handguard advice

Fr33domfytr

Finally decided to join, but have been lurking for a while!

I am looking for advice for a build that I started , AP M5 308 ( not enhanced) with a M5 Enhanced handguard.   Ahhh see!!!  I reload and the current 308 battle rifle (PTR-91) destroys brass.  I wanted to build something a little different.  I have built 7 ARs but no 308s.

So, in the current climate of supply and demand, I finally found a 15’ M5 Enhanced handguard but the barrel nut is sold separately.  Got the  separate barrel nut and ordered and shim pack from Bison Armory just in case I need more than what is supplied with the barrel nut.  Any words of advise that will make it easy?  Thoughts are welcome.

1 hour ago, Fr33domfytr said:

Any words of advise that will make it easy?  Thoughts are welcome.

The whole upper assembly is easy, for those parts - just let us know if you hit a snag.  You probably won't, though.  What's your plan for a barrel?

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Yep... had to put a heavy buffer to slow her down.   Had the original 3.8 oz and went to the 5.5 oz.   I ordered a Orange Springco  buffer  spring  also but when used together, was then short stroking.  Replaced with original buffer spring and there it is.  Spits them out at 3 o’clock now.  Runs like a swiss clock!  

At the range , shoots 1/4 moa  with 50 yard zero at 50.

11 minutes ago, Fr33domfytr said:

UPDATE:

Yep... had to put a heavy buffer to slow her down.   Had the original 3.8 oz and went to the 5.5 oz.   I ordered a Orange Springco  buffer  spring  also but when used together, was then short stroking.  Replaced with original buffer spring and there it is.  Spits them out at 3 o’clock now.  Runs like a swiss clock!  

At the range , shoots 1/4 moa  with 50 yard zero at 50.

We always love a happy customer! I may at some point build a 6.5 Creed upper for my .308, I'm so damned OCD, that  I will have to build another lower when they come back in stock... you've done your home work on buffers, I read 98's little dissertation, then I read it again... I built my 300 HAM'R with Wilson's 40 coil flat buffer spring, so we will see... wish me luck, or better yet, say a prayer!