• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stainless 12.5" KAK Barrel 308 Build

Whiskeyfish

Hi everyone. I hope all is well. Strange times, dealing with Covid19 and having a life. My social deprivation has me building a 12.5" 308. I'm not sure which way I will go, Pistol, SBR, or Other.

My 18", AR308 build went very well. Thanks to those who assisted me along the way. You know who you are. 😉

So basically, at the moment, I am building the upper only. The upper is going to be APM5. I am building from the KAK 308 WIN 12.5 INCH CARBINE STAINLESS BARREL, up.

I still need to get the upper receiver, Adj GB, HG, Bolt, Gas Tube, etc-etc.

Things are a little tight for me this time of year, but I will get there. I am hopeful with your wisdom, this build will be as flawless as my rifle build.

7 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

Hi everyone. I hope all is well. Strange times, dealing with Covid19 and having a life. My social deprivation has me building a 12.5" 308. I'm not sure which way I will go, Pistol, SBR, or Other.

My 18", AR308 build went very well. Thanks to those who assisted me along the way. You know who you are. 😉

So basically, at the moment, I am building the upper only. The upper is going to be APM5. I am building from the KAK 308 WIN 12.5 INCH CARBINE STAINLESS BARREL, up.

Things are a little tight for me this time of year, but I will get there. I am hopeful with your wisdom, this build will be as flawless as my rifle build.

Shouldn't NEED an adjustable gas block, if the barrel is made right (gas port diameter on the money).  I built up one of the 12.5" SIG barrels from CDNN, and didn't use an adjustable gas block.  That gun runs like a champ, eats anything I throw at it.  Get your recoil system right, make sure your gas system is straight.  No adjustable gas block needed, at all. Don't waste the money, unless you plan to run it suppressed and unsuppressed. 

ToolCraft for the BCG.   Snatch one when you can find one.  Nitrided is fine, you don't need Nickel Boron.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

8 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

brownells still has 308 nitrided bcg on sale

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Shouldn't NEED an adjustable gas block, if the barrel is made right (gas port diameter on the money).  I built up one of the 12.5" SIG barrels from CDNN, and didn't use an adjustable gas block.  That gun runs like a champ, eats anything I throw at it.  Get your recoil system right, make sure your gas system is straight.  No adjustable gas block needed, at all. Don't waste the money, unless you plan to run it suppressed and unsuppressed. 

ToolCraft for the BCG.   Snatch one when you can find one.  Nitrided is fine, you don't need Nickel Boron.  :thumbup:

Hey man, hope things are well. I DO plan on suppressing. There's an OSS Hx-QD Helix marinating in the system. I'm thinking it should be ready to cook, in July or so.

I'm waiting for the barrel to arrive, and planned to get a Superlative Arms AGB. That could change if a better option is available, I need to do more research.

The Hand Guard is another concern. Probably go with Midwest, unless I can find an elusive. I don't recall the manufacturers name.

A ToolCraft BCG, works for me.

Edited by Whiskeyfish

4 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

The Hand Guard is another concern. Probably go with Midwest, unless I can find an elusive. I don't recall the manufacturers name.

I ran this handguard on my 12.5" build, and it's great.  Wilson Combat TRIM rail, and they're not making them anymore - so they're blowing them out for around $80.  I did the 10" on the 12/5 barrel, and it's perfect.  Pick up an extra TRIM Rail picatinny section when you get it - because you won't get to buy one in the future, once all this stuff is gone.

I liked the 10" rail so much, that I just bought a 12" the other night -future project.  Can't beat the quality, or the price.   :thumbup:

10" - absolutely perfect on a 12/5" barrel.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-AR-10-DPMS-10/productinfo/TR-TRIM-AR-10-D-10/

12"

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-AR-10-DPMS-12/productinfo/TR-TRIM-AR-10-D-12/

The TRIM Rail pic section:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Picatinny-Rail-Panel-4-Notch-TRIM-Direct-Mount/productinfo/TR-TRIM-RS4/

8 minutes ago, Whiskeyfish said:

That's a great price alright. I'm not a proprietary guy, though. But you "looking out" was nice!

The only thing proprietary about it is how you mount things to the rail itself.  It's not M-LOK or Key Mod, and if you mount via a picatinny rail - then just get an extra pic section now while they have them.  That's the only "proprietary" on this rail - and it mounts right up to a DPMS High profile upper receiver.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

KAK 12.5" Stainless Barrel = Received

AP M5 Upper, Lower, LPK (Less FCG), Port Door = In Route

BCG = Needed

SLR7 Adj GB = Needed

Gas Tube = Needed (waiting to assemble to determine length needed)

Buffer Tube = Needed

Buffer Spring = Needed

Buffer (5.3oz) = Needed

FCG (Larue MBT Flat) = Needed

Any input where to find things on sale is welcome!! 😉

Edited by Whiskeyfish

7 hours ago, Whiskeyfish said:

I would like to go CMMG tube and SBA3 config, If things are compatible.

Help, PLEASE. LOL!!!!!

The SBA3 is a great device - that CMMG receiver extension you talking about an AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension?  Something 7.000" internal depth?

If that's the case, go with the KAK Shorty buffer at 5.3oz, and use the Sprinco Orange spring. 

I've been looking at them, trying to figure out what one will work. There's the CQB Model, and Standard Model. I can't find info on tube lengths.

$199.00 for the tube and brace. I am building a pistol, and these are (still) approved by the ATF as such. The buffer and spring get tossed in the spare parts box.

The 5.3oz shorty buffer makes sense, I want to be absolutely sure there will be no issues with the carrier hitting.

Direct links of what you're looking at will help.  Or, just find the direct kit from SB Tactical - it includes everything you're looking at, with a known 7.000" internal depth AR15 Carbine Receiver Extension, and it's $169.  You'll still need the buffer and spring I recommended to run that on a .308AR.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

Edited by 98Z5V

5 minutes ago, Whiskeyfish said:

Scrap that second one - no way that's working for a .308AR. That first link looks like a 3.250" buffer, but they don't list ANY buffer specs in their "tech" tab on there.  So, there's no way to confirm.  That's why CMMG sucks.

Just run it through SB Tactical, save $30, don't worry about some shiit-CMMG parts that you have to save for later (buffer and spring), and run the buffer and spring I stated above.   :thumbup:

It'll end up looking like this - paint being what it is, I know... 

P1080700.thumb.JPG.62a90acde3f38ff5b696a7a35ec62d79.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I like this update, man...   :thumbup::hail:

I think this build is gonna shine. I'm going with a str8 gas system. The gas port on the barrel looks to be plenty open, so I'm going to try it before I eat $$$ in an adjustable. I plan to run it with and without a can to start. A Superlative AGB if it's necessary, later.

Let's just assume I'm excited a scosche. Haha. I'll update after the first range trip.

Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend All!!!