• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Are there any archers among us?

Matt.Cross

Forearm guard is good to start with.  Dont find that I need mine anymore.

My recommendation is getting the bow to a real pro-shop and not a big-box retailer like Bass Pro or Cabellas. That is a decision you won't regret and well worth the cost to get everything set up right the first time.

Outside of that, don't buy the cheapest but I don't feel you need the most expensive either to enjoy it.

My recommendation is getting the bow to a real pro-shop and not a big-box retailer like Bass Pro or Cabellas. That is a decision you won't regret and well worth the cost to get everything set up right the first time.

Great advice, I have heard enough horror stories about the big-box stores that I decided not to patronize them for my bow setup. I had a local shop outfit me with the bare necessities.

I don't find an armguards necessary for most modern compounds.

My longbow however makes one pretty much mandatory.

The best advice I can give is FOLLOW THROUGH.

I'm really new to this, so maybe you can break down what the proper follow-through is... I'd appreciate it!  :)

Don't grip the bow. Let it rest in the web of your hand with fingers lightly touching,  if at all. Find a consistent anchor point, whether it's a kisser button, fletch in the corner of your mouth, knuckle under your ear...pick one your comfortable with and do it the same way every time. It will soon become muscle memory ...your hold and release consistency is key to accuracy...don't pull too much weight ...if you can't hold it straight out with left and pull straight back with your right it's too much draw weight ...and. practice.practice. practice