• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how to clean the plug

rob072770

I just ran around 60 rds in the P308 I broke it down to clean and I could not get the plug clean.  I tried every carbon cleaner and even broke out my dermel tool with some bore polish. still not new clean. any ideas?  It sure shoots sweet. I like my guns squeaky clean. As always thanks for the info.

The only experience with gas plug cleaning that I have is with FN,M14 & M1 garrands & you need to scrape that crap off, not pretty but it works.

Dull knife blade of proper strength ,even a small sharpened screw driver .

Not sure what your POF plug looks like ,but I'll bet its not much different than the ones mentioned above.

Maybe Kano Laboratories "Kroil."  I buy mine locally at a gun shop by the pint.  I think MidwayUSA sells it in half-pint cans.  Put a drop of Kroil on the parts and let it soak for a while.  I have had/seen results in time frames ranging from minutes to weeks.  The long time frame was a big item at work that was rusted solid.  Kroil is a penetrating oil that never gives up.  Kroil is good for getting leading and copper deposits out of barrels,  too.  Just give it time to do its thing.

• 2 months later...