• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer tube

Vulture

I'm certain this has been covered but I'm new here so have not seen it. I have a DPMS LR308, function is great, but I have a buffer question, what is the length difference between a carbine tube, and a rifle tube? Mine measures to roughly 6 7/8" on the inside, is this considered the rifle tube, or carbine? I am installing a MagPul stock and would prefer to be able to shoulder the weapon closer to get a shorter eye relief for my optics. I've mitigated recoil with a Hypertap brake, works amazing, so a closer eye relief for the ACOG scope would be helpful! Any answers?

Welcome to the forum.

That is a carbine tube as has been said.  The only way to get shorter is a pistol tube.  However, you would need a shorter buffer of the same weight with an appropriate spring to get the same recoil.  A possible option to get closer to the optic is the MFT Minimalist stock.  They are available if you search.

Post a picture of your rifle so we can see it.  What optic do you have?  What is the eye relief supposed to be?