• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

short stroking/ bolt wont hold open on empty mag

mindlessenigma

it does, from what i gather i need to replace the buffer assembly, with heavier buffer, spring, and maybe a different tube. i am unfamiliar as to the different impacts a carbine/ rifle buffer system would have, and i will honestly defer to your opinion on this. which would you recommend for my build? i also get why i may need to re drill my gas port. on the gas aspect, is it worthwhile installing a armalite/ar10 gas tube, because the one i currently have is definitely for a ar15.

53 minutes ago, mindlessenigma said:

it does, from what i gather i need to replace the buffer assembly, with heavier buffer, spring, and maybe a different tube. i am unfamiliar as to the different impacts a carbine/ rifle buffer system would have, and i will honestly defer to your opinion on this. which would you recommend for my build? i also get why i may need to re drill my gas port. on the gas aspect, is it worthwhile installing a armalite/ar10 gas tube, because the one i currently have is definitely for a ar15.

First things first - we need to verify your gas port diameter.  That's #1 on the priority list.  Very first.

Your gas tube is perfect - do not change that.  Doesn't matter if it's an AR15 gas tube or an AR-10 gas tube. Whatever you have in there is designed for the perfect gas timing, and it ends directly in the center of the cam-pin cutout.  That's perfect, like it should be, so leave that part alone.

For a recoil system, you're working with a 7.000" internal depth AR15-based receiver extension.  That restricts you to 2.500" long buffers.  That's not a good place to be, based on the amount of weight that can possibly FIT in a 2.500" long buffer (about 5.3oz or 5.4oz, max, on a 2.500" buffer).  You can make that setup work, with a full-weight BCG, but you have a light BCG assembly...

In your shoes, I'd completely change the recoil system.  You have to counteract that lightweight BCG, and it's reciprocating mass (loss).  You'll need a carbine receiver extension that's 7 5/8" internal depth, and there are only 3...

Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, MagPul Enhanced Receiver Extension SR25/M110, and the VLTOR A5 Receiver Extension.  Those three are verified at 7 5/8" internal depth. 

You need an Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.

You need ANY AR15 Carbine H3 buffer - or maybe more.  You might need the HeavyBuffers.com XH buffer - based on your lightweight BCG.  I'd go with the XH buffer, and get the weight up there, JUST to counteract that lightweight BCG - if it were mine. 

This is the one that you're after:

872730640_SlashXHCarbine3250.thumb.png.f8d001508c7faa0679ad01edc4f52db5.png

Scroll this page until you find that exact buffer...

https://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

It comes with the spring, for that price, and the spring is the Armalite EA1095 spring that I mentioned.

All this is moot, though - you NEED that recoil system in place, to make a functional gun - but we need to know what that gas port diameter is, from ADM...  

Hope this helps.  We'll help the whole way, no matter what.  That's my opinion on what your recoil system needs to be, though, to run this barrel configuration. 

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

The car-10 xh 6.5 ounce buffer and spring should work for your 7 inch carbine buffer tube, otherwise to go up in weight you would need to go to the extended receiver extension. I wouldn’t go lighter than the 6.5 ounce though.

i just ordered the extended tube and the xh carbine buffer. 

On 2/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

I go back to this one.  This is important, @mindlessenigma - it's very important.  :thumbup:  Please measure that gas port diameter, and provide the details here.

sorry it took me so long, midterms and work have been clapping my cheeks lately. i just heard from adm, and the gas port is .094. 

6 hours ago, mindlessenigma said:

sorry it took me so long, midterms and work have been clapping my cheeks lately. i just heard from adm, and the gas port is .094. 

No worries - we'll get to this thing when we get to it.  Don't sweat your timeline - do what you have to.

I think that gas port diameter is gonna be way too small - but put it together with the recoil system that you have on order, and let's see how this thing runs.  Shoot it one round in a magazine, at a time, and see it if locks the bolt back.  Make sure it's well lubed before shooting.  If you give it 3 or 4 honest tries, single-round in a mag, and it won't lock the bolt back, then don't waste anymore ammo - that gas port diameter will have to go up. 

18 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

No worries - we'll get to this thing when we get to it.  Don't sweat your timeline - do what you have to.

I think that gas port diameter is gonna be way too small - but put it together with the recoil system that you have on order, and let's see how this thing runs.  Shoot it one round in a magazine, at a time, and see it if locks the bolt back.  Make sure it's well lubed before shooting.  If you give it 3 or 4 honest tries, single-round in a mag, and it won't lock the bolt back, then don't waste anymore ammo - that gas port diameter will have to go up. 

awesome. ill update this once i get the heavy buffers assembly