• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

short stroking/ bolt wont hold open on empty mag

mindlessenigma

hello, this the first rifle i've built, so id like some advice on the issues im having.

- 16inch adm uic10 heavy barrel

-- .750 jp adjustable gas block.(JPGS5B)   i even took it to a gunsmith to make sure it was aligned properly. 

--i have a rifle length gas tube, and i compared it to the info in this post, and my gas tube appears to be the proper length. 

i have a jp low mass 308 bcg, and bolt

and the buffer/recoil spring is what came with the assembled lower. here is the lower assembly i have https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-complete-lower-receiver-moe-sl-grip-sl-carbine-stock.

i can open the gas system up to the point the adjustment screw is almost falling out of the gas block, and the rifle will still only catch the bolt and hold on a empty mag on a fluke. i haven't been able to replicate it with any reliability. 

i've seen some posts on the web about issues with a carbine buffer system. id like to keep the adjustable stock, but if i can then so be it. i was wondering what courses of action i can take to make the rifle reliable and have the bolt hold open work. if its the gas system, should i get a non adjustable gasblock? or should i look at the buffer system?

ive attached images of the gas tube, and of the rifle. im happy to post more to help yall help me 🙂

20210226_163905.jpg

20210226_165119.jpg

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

^What he said^  Combine what's already a light buffer that Aero uses with a lighter than normal BCG and the thing is flying.

Yeah, it is.  Gonna need a more-heavy than normal (heavier than 5.4oz) to counteract that lightweight BCG. 

OP, what's your gas port diameter?  And the Gas block journal diameter?  Your gas tube length is perfect.  Leave your adjustable gas block - just make sure that you're running it wide open,as long as we're doing this testing.  Once the gun runs right, worry about adjusting it down.

I'd like to see pics of the ADM barrel.  16" rifle gas is rare, so if you can get that rail off and snap a pic, that would be awesome.  It's just for the reason of seeing that isn't a Fulton Armory, because they're so rare.  I know the Fulton Armory barrel profile had a 0.936" journal, and it had to have a 0.105" gas port to run right, because the dwell time is so short. 

Edited by 98Z5V

i found what i believe to be the buffer tube i have on the rifle, i couldnt find any exact dimentsion though. https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-carbine-receiver-extension

the specific lower set up i have is this https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-complete-lower-receiver-moe-sl-grip-sls-carbine-stock

from looking at the buffer, i think its aeros general one, https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-carbine-buffer-kit-1

i dont have any scales to weigh it, and im not opposed to changing the buffer tube, spring, or buffer. im guessing that aeros basic set up isint that good.

26 minutes ago, mindlessenigma said:

the barrel has a .750 gas port? . im unfamiliar with what the gas block journal diameter is, but the adjustable gas block is .750 as well. 

here's the barrel https://www.admmfg.com/uic10-barrel-308-win

and heres the gas block im using https://www.opticsplanet.com/jp-enterprises-750-adj-gas-block.html

Gas block journal diameter is 0.750".  That's the gas block diameter that you had to use.  The barrel is beautiful - ADM does fine work.   No way is the gas port diameter 0.750" - max gas port diameter that any barrel can have is 0.125", since that's the inside diameter of a gas tube.  Double check that gas port diameter, if you will.  0.075" is a viable number, but not 0.750"...

Edited by 98Z5V

14 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Gas block journal diameter is 0.750".  That's the gas block diameter that you had to use.  The barrel is beautiful - ADM does fine work.   No way is the gas port diameter 0.750" - max gas port diameter that any barrel can have is 0.125", since that's the inside diameter of a gas tube.  Double check that gas port diameter, if you will.  0.075" is a viable number, but not 0.750"...

i looked on their website and online, and i couldn't find the actual measurement for that? 

1 minute ago, mindlessenigma said:

i looked on their website and online, and i couldn't find the actual measurement for that? 

You'd have to pull the gas block - loosen and slide forward - and use a drill index (the small numbered bits) to determine the gas port diameter.  That's the easiest way.  However it shakes out, you definitely need to get us that number.   That's the most important number in figuring all this stuff out.  I can come up with a number range that it should be, based on the Fulton Armory proven barrel config, that works.  That's 16" rifle gas, 0.936" journal, 0.105" gas port diameter.  Give me a few, and I'll edit the post with the port range that you'd need to have.

I came up with some bad numbers for a gas port diameter for a 16" rifle gas barrel and a 0.750" gas block journal.  You'll need a gas port diameter that's maxed out, 0.125".  Let's see what ADM says about it.  This is a .308 Winchester cartridge that we're working with here, right?  Not 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, something weird?  .308 Win?

Call ADM, man.  I hope they planned this thing out the right way.  I've never had another 16" rifle gas barrel to compare to the FA barrel - and yours is definitely a 16" barrel.  I now know why FA went with a 0.936 gas block journal size.  They use that journal size to get the port diameter down from maxed-out.  Even the 0.875" would give some wiggle-room, but that 0.750" doesn't leave anything on the table.

5 minutes ago, mindlessenigma said:

ok, i just sent them a email. worst comes to worst, would i have to get a gunsmith to resize the port? and out of curiosity how do the differing gas port sizes impact the rifles functionality? 

Gas port diameter is king, in any gas system.  It's everything.  You don't need a gunsmith to resize the port - you can do that at home, with a hand drill and the right drill bit.  I preach that all the time here, and the pilot hole that you need to follow is right there in front of you...

Read this when you have the time: