• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

POF 308 buffer tube combo

Ed773

Has anyone tried the POF 308 buffer tube, using the 308 rifle buffer spring and a standard AR15 buffer, like the Odin works heavy kit??

I want to run a 16" carbine gas upper and a 20" 260Rem rifle gas upper and a 308 20" gas upper off the same lower, I hope.

Need help with this, thanks. 

50 minutes ago, Ed773 said:

Has anyone tried the POF 308 buffer tube, using the 308 rifle buffer spring and a standard AR15 buffer, like the Odin works heavy kit??

I want to run a 16" carbine gas upper and a 20" 260Rem rifle gas upper and a 308 20" gas upper off the same lower, I hope.

Need help with this, thanks. 

What’s the length of the buffer tube? Not finding it on POF’s website.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but an ar15 carbine buffer and an armalite ar-10 carbine buffer are both 3.25” in length. So as long as you are getting to that sweet spot in weight around 5.4 oz like the armalite buffer, an ar15 h3 carbine buffer should work. 

the difference is because bcg is longer in a 308ar, you need a longer buffer tube for that 3.25” buffer. You will need to run a 7-5/8” tube (just like an armalite ar-10 carbine tube.) 

another thing you have to take into account, a regular ar15 spring most likely will not function. Although sprinco‘s RED spring would work for both platforms but not with all setups.

Looks like to me, you want to buffer system that you can tweak with that Odin Works adjustable buffer by changing the weight to run different platforms. Well I have a 16” 260 rem that runs an armalite at-10 6 position receiver extension kit. We have people that use the same kits on 260 rems with 20” barrels and .308s from 12” barrel lengths to 24”. If you are looking for interchangeable parts and simplifying running multiple platforms on a 308ar with reliability, my suggestion is an armalite at-10 6 position receiver extension kit for $75.

ARTrooper

I'm not sure of the length of the tube, but longer than standard carbine tube.

POF said to use a standard 308 rifle length buffer spring, and you could then use a standard 5.56 carbine buffer to get more weight options.

I think it was a 7 position tube. Sounded like a great set-up, but I can not find a buffer tube now with the panic going on.

If it is an AR15 carbine tube, it will be 7 inches internal depth.  You will need a 2.5" buffer at 5.4 oz.  If it is Armalite AR10 carbine buffer tube length, it will be 7 9/16" deep and a 3.25" buffer at 5.4oz  will work.

The buffer spring may cause a problem as there is no "standard" 308 buffer spring.  If it is a rifle buffer spring, you will likely have problems with a carbine buffer tube (more appropriately called the receiver extension)

9 hours ago, Ed773 said:

POF said to use a standard 308 rifle length buffer spring, and you could then use a standard 5.56 carbine buffer to get more weight options.

This MUST be a receiver extension that's 7 5/8" internal depth, if they're telling you to use AR15 Carbine Buffers and a .308 Rifle Spring.

Get the extension, if it's available.  Get an Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.  Get ANY AR15 Carbine H3 buffer that you can find somewhere.  Get the extension first, and measure the INTERNAL depth of it.  Get the other parts when you confirm that internal depth is 7 5/8".

EDIT - For a buffer, if you were set on an adjustable buffer, get the ODIN Works AR15 HEAVY kit...  But, FWIW, a 5.4oz buffer will run all of those calibers.  Well.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the info guys.

POF tells me they are not making that tube now because they do not make a rifle that takes it.

The tube is 7 9/16 inside, and has the anti-rotational lip at the buffer detent, that is why I like it.

As far as the spring, my bad choice of words, they say a factory DPMS rifle length 308 spring is the one to use. And a AR 5.56 buffer of your weight choice for your needs.

I was just wondering if anyone has used that set up to relay outcome. I would rather do this once, than have several tubes and buffers extra.

4 hours ago, Ed773 said:

Thanks for the info guys.

POF tells me they are not making that tube now because they do not make a rifle that takes it.

The tube is 7 9/16 inside, and has the anti-rotational lip at the buffer detent, that is why I like it.

As far as the spring, my bad choice of words, they say a factory DPMS rifle length 308 spring is the one to use. And a AR 5.56 buffer of your weight choice for your needs.

I was just wondering if anyone has used that set up to relay outcome. I would rather do this once, than have several tubes and buffers extra.

Well, since DMPS is now out of business, I wouldn't trust anybody that's vending a genuine DPMS spring - most vendors don't know what they're talking about anyway, and can't label parts right, or even understand why you cannot use an AR15 carbine spring in a .308AR...   Which is exactly why I recommended the Armalite EA1095 spring.  There's only one manufacturer, and they've been making that spring to the exact same specs, from the exact same materials, for many decades.  It's dependable, it works really, really well, and it's made the same every time, from the same people.  Stick with something that is a known, in the equation, instead of something that isn't made anymore, and people don't know how to advertise properly...  That's my $0.02.