• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt catching on new upper

JohnZ

Greetings.  I'm new to the AR-10 and have a very basic question.  I've just received an upper from Midway (AR Stoner) with side charging handle.  I just put it on my lower and the bolt is sticking/catching when pulling back.  I've never had this issue with any of my AR-15s and wondered if this was just sloppy machining that will fix itself and loosen up after a few rounds or if there is something else I'm missing.  (Yes, I know I should have done a higher-end upper, but this was all I could currently find in stock)

parts list is not basic.  you're comparing apples to oranges. I have to say  that cus it's been said 1000 times . no worries bro post up what you have and we can as a group help you out. 

not familiar with a side charge ar-10 from midway other than ar-15.? link to the upper / lower would help. 

On 4/2/2021 at 6:05 AM, JohnZ said:

Yes, I went 6.5, so let’s not get into that debate.  I’m a bi-caliber guy, my SCAR is .308...

There's no "debate" to get into.  I have a bunch of 6.5mm guns, and so do others here.  Don't know what kind of a fight you'd thought that you were gonna get, but it won't be a fight here.  Lighten Up, Francis.

In your shoes, I'd be contacting Midway, and asking if they're aware of this, if they've had any other reports of something like this - then going straight to the manufacturer of this upper - AR Stoner - and asking the same questions...  

On 4/2/2021 at 6:00 AM, JohnZ said:

No, AR10

Not an AR-10.  Only Armalite makes those, and it's a different pattern from what you have.  Insisting that it's "an AR-10" only clouds the discusssion with inaccurate information - that will net you answers that don't pertain to the actual platform that you have.  What you have is a ".308 AR"... 

Clearly listed in the Midway title for this part, it states "LR-308" - which is a DPMS pattern.  But, it's not made by DPMS, it's just on the DPMS LR-308 pattern... 

Not trying to bust your balls - but the terminology really does matter. 

Edited by 98Z5V