• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Load data, Maker 85gr TREX and WW296

BrianK

I did some fast and dirty load development this past w/e with  Maker 85 Trex and WW296. I saw a plateau around 19.6gr 296 where adding more powder didn't give more velocity (2400ish fps). But my data was quick and dirty. I hope to get to the range this w/e to generate real data and shoot for accuracy. 

I might also try Lil'Gun since it's a bit faster than 296. It might work better in my 10.3" barrel. We'll see if I pursue that.

I'll come back to this after I have more data to add.

I know you are talking about supersonic bullets but will these be run through a supressor?  If so, Lil'gun will heat that thing up to untouchable levels in less than ten fairly fast paced shots.  Been there done that with mine and my Lil'gun loaded supers.

3 hours ago, dpete said:

I know you are talking about supersonic bullets but will these be run through a supressor?  If so, Lil'gun will heat that thing up to untouchable levels in less than ten fairly fast paced shots.  Been there done that with mine and my Lil'gun loaded supers.

Yes, they will go through a can and yes they are supersonic. I have  no use for subsonic 85s if it could even be done and get semi-auto action (I don't think so). I don't know if it makes a difference and I've never stressed the can at all... yet... it's a "flow through" can (my term). There's no back pressure involved with it. Maybe it'll work differently? IDK. I'm playing with it but I appreciate the heads up. Something for me to look out for. I'll find out if my handguard does what I want it to if the can does get real hot. 

The can is an Amtac 7.62 CQB-M and not very attractive to the civilian market near as I can figure. But it has attributes that I liked. With a 10" barrel and a 10" can the overall "barrel" length is near 14". That's not exact, but close. Here's the handgun with it in place (below). also a can that gets screwed onto the end in place for comparison below that. OK, that didn't work. I'll try again. That worked. The pix are old and it's changed a bit but the barrel length hasn't, same 10.3" barrel, same foreend. 

with-blade.jpg

With-Ghost-full-length.jpg

22 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Here are other powders that I have used for 300BLK - H110, Accurate 1680, and IMR 3031.  Play with it, if you can find those other powders.  They all work well.

I appreciate that.

Yes, I'll use those powders with 125gr supers and with heavier bullets for subsonic loads. Looking at load data my gut tells me that the slower poders won't be suitable for an 85 grain bullet and a 10" barrel. Except for the H-110 which is WW296. I have 1680, Lil'Gun, VV n120, of course WW296, and maybe one or two others that escape me at the moment. All I need is time to get the testing phase over with. 

I've considered going to fast pistol powder for the 85s but I have no data and don't want to blow the gun up. But with a short barrel and a can I think the fast pistol powder might be an  attractive way to go. 

10 minutes ago, BrianK said:

I've considered going to fast pistol powder for the 85s but I have no data and don't want to blow the gun up. But with a short barrel and a can I think the fast pistol powder might be an  attractive way to go. 

Basically, anything that works with the .30 Carbine is gonna work for .300BLK.  Heavier projectiles from smaller cases. 

I'm getting ready to start load workups for 500BLK.  .338 Lapua Magnum case, modified, and shooting a .50 cal 911 grain projectile.  I'm starting with H110.   :thumbup:

Same principle applies there. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

Interesting. 

I kept it simple with .50 Beowulf and in an AR15. 

This ain't .50 Beo - not in the least.   The .50 Beo is chump change, here.

This is a different animal, man...

Here's the projo, and here's a mockup of the loaded round...   :embarrassed:

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.42541bc3178850d9e47d1970afbb118b.JPG

IMG_0394.thumb.JPG.17c61e86f997230b1a6e591adb338e89.JPG

This thing is fired from custom receivers - it's beyond "Large-Frame AR"...  This is the same AR receiver set that's made to fire .338 Lapua Magnum.

Different world, right here.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I did more in depth testing today. I'll just give a synopsis of all loads tested then the data for the winning load. 

The short story is that the bullets are keepers. The data shows just how fast they slow down, but I expected that.

I started testing them at 19.0gr ww296 and worked up to 19.8gr. The winning load was 19.6gr. Accuracy for all loads was better than my very low standard with no load having a group larger than 1 1/8". But the sight is a red dot, so some of that could have been my eyes and the sight. There was no POI shift with the can. The bullet has a crimping groove and that governed the COAL. I don't have the actual measurement at hand. I used a heavy crimp.

Stats - Average    2308.7    fps
Stats - Highest    2321.7    fps
Stats - Lowest    2294.02    fps
Stats - Ext. Spread    27.68    fps
Stats - Std. Dev    13.92    fps

Shot ID    V0          V4         V15      V25    V50    V100    Ke0    Ke4    Ke15    Ke25    Ke50    Ke100    PF4    Proj. Weight    Date             Time
1              2322    2304    2255    2210    2088    0         1017    1001    959    921      823         0         195.84    85              05-16-2021    12:58:50
2              2294    2277    2230    2187      0         0          993      978      938    902       0            0          193.54    85              05-16-2021    12:59:36
3               2310    2294    2247    2204      0        0        1007      992      952    916       0            0          194.99    85              05-16-2021    13:00:23

All that was left to do was to test the can (Amtac 7.62 CQB-M) with my chosen load for HD in the closed up shop. Despite the name I always test to make sure. The can is unlike any other I own. I forget the exact specs, but I think it's a 10" can that only makes the "barrel" 4" longer, and it has no baffles.  If it didn't blow out my eardrums in the shop then it's house safe. The result? It's house safe. My build will do what I want it to do as designed. 

It'll take the place of a 12ga and slugs which will over penetrate. I hope I never need them or the replacement bt I think we're going to be Venezuela north. It'll also be far more effective than 9mm. Not as effective as a 5.56, but far easier to maneuver in CQB. 

Today I loaded the heads I had and that should be more than enough. As I wrote, I hope I don't need any of them.  Now I move on to other bullets. Ultimately I'm hoping that I can find a sight-in where all of the chosen loads for serious social use all will have a reasonable point blank range. All of these test loads shot to the same POA, but quite different from the S&B supersonic loads. Fingers crossed. 

• 11 months later...