• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Share your most accurate 308 load

LR038B

• 2 months later...

My advice is to keep the Varget and try some other bullets, when you find one your rifle seems to like then try several popular powders. When you find the powder it likes then try several different primers. Most rifles will show more of a preference for bullets than any thing else followed by powder then primers.

• 6 months later...

I can't believe there hasn't been any posts on this topic.

Here is my most accurate so far:

CBC brass, WLR primer, 168gr Sierra MK, 42.0gr Benchmark, 2.795" COAL, 2614fps, 5-shot 0.59" @ 100 yards

5shot59in100yrd.jpg

Here is my favorite load:

Winchester brass, WLR primer, 168gr A-Max, 44.0gr RL15, 2.795" COAL, 2577fps, 5-shot 0.895" @ 100 yards

5shot895in100yrd.jpg

My Rifle: DPMS LRT-SASS

DPMSLRT-SASSSmall.jpg

I am curious to see what other people are using in their 18" 308's

• 2 months later...

You may have some surprises with the chronograph data on your loads.

I sure did , not sure how I reloaded for so long with out one .

I don't use any powder you can get off the shelf ,so my loading data would be useless , but the changing of bullets ,powder & primers , is good advice & once you find a sweet spot you will know it .

That is also where the chronograph can come in handy.

Some barrels like heavy bullets, some don't . If you hand load & can't get much better results against the milspec 147 fodder , you have not found your sweet spot .

I believe , with the right combo of powder & primers , you can achieve outstanding results with any bullet . ( with a good bbl. )

Ya just have to match the loading to what your barrel likes  & of course ,its the person pulling the trigger that has a lot to do with it .

Another thing to remember is , just because its fast ,doesn't mean its accurate.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the DPMS SASS which has a 1/10 twist. My most consistent load with the 175 Sierra match I use is 45.3 gr varget in lapua brass seated to 2.800 oal. CCI BR2 primers. I knock the charge down to 45 gr for some military match brass although it's not quite as accurate as the lapua. Using bipod and only a small bag under my wrist I can consistently shoot 1/2 to 3/4 " groups doing my part. I don't fully bench rest my rifles when shooting because I want them to shoot like I use them in the field. In my M1A I use a light 42 gr AA 2520 with 168 match. The same load I use in my bolt 308 varmet special. Very accurate in m1A but powder is dirty compared to some. I love aa2520. Meters in dispenser great and extremely accurate but I wanted to work up a 2600fps load for the SASS with 175 gr rounds in 18" barrel. Varget achieved that for me with great accuracy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

110 gr Hornady AMAX with exactly 44gr Varget in Lake City/Federal Match LR Primer here.  The 110 grain normally is better in higher twist barrels but with the 1-10twist, I under-charged it.  Bullet is running roughly 2900ft/sec and fragments easily.  Consistant 1/4 MOA or less at 100 yards.  Extremely fun to shoot small targets with, not much left most of the time lol.  And I mean this is disgustingly accurate for me, poked same holes many a times with it.

Its also a 1/4 MOA low and left from the 168gr Hornady AMAX with 41.1gr Varget load I use also (brass and primer are the same).  A good 2 for 1 with it, either harder hitting 168gr or fragmenting 110gr.