• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Can't wait to get out hunting again with my DPMS AR10

... DPMS AR10

Uh oh, grammatical faux pas! That's like driving a Ford Corvette.

Nice looking deer though. How much meet did you end up harvesting by the end of the season? A big neg here in Cali is our two deer max, and only bucks. Gets rough shooting at little coastal deer and maybe getting 100 pounds by the end of the season.

When I go to Kansas to fill my freezer on grain fed Whitetail I usually bring home 3 deer for myself and 2 for friends. The doe's run about 150 pounds, had one 188 a few years ago. The mature bucks will go 250+ on occasion. This meat is some of the best tasting I have ever had, probably the reason we have been going back for 15 years. YOu can buy up to 6 doe tags. They used to be $7.50, now they are $77 ! It really cut into the number sold as you would expect. Many farmers are not happy about that. I think you would be hard pressed to find a rural farmer who has not run into or been run into a deer. They are happy to get rid of them and I am happy to oblige. They are significantly bigger then our Texas deer where the doe's run 80-90 pounds. Hardly worth shooting.

Sorry about the Faux Pas, I wasn't aware it was incorrect...live and learn!

Here's a pic of a buddies Ks. deer from last year. No teeth from all the grain he had eaten, we gueesed 7-8 years old. Probably his last winter.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/gregsksdeer2010.jpg

Uh oh, grammatical faux pas! That's like driving a Ford Corvette.

Nice looking deer though. How much meet did you end up harvesting by the end of the season? A big neg here in Cali is our two deer max, and only bucks. Gets rough shooting at little coastal deer and maybe getting 100 pounds by the end of the season.

Store-brand tissues are still Kleenex when the snot is dripping.  ;D

Stoner invented the AR-10 in .30-06 IIRC, then sold all the rights and names.

When talking to some older folks you just have to use their lingo.

That's why I tell the gray-hairs at the range to look at my Rock River AR-10 Operator.

Jon

Come on, I'm not that old!

I took my 74 year old father in law to the range the other day. He had never fired a LR-308,lol. Anyway, he said he didn't like it but he smiled after every shot and managed to blast 100 rounds of ammo. Sounds like he was miserable doesn't it?

DaveandAR.jpg

Thanks! Taking my father in law shooting is always a challenge. He used to hunt and shoot all the time then for 20 years he felt he was to old to get out and do it. Now when he comes to Tx. to visit I usually take him out at least twice. He's all about accuracy which I appreciate. Very methodical from his Korean war days and long range shooting. Very different form my 12 year old who is all about slinging lead down range! 2 more weeks and I take the in-law to Ks. deer hunting. Help keep him young and great meat for the freezer.

Like last year I plan on using the LR-308 with the Nikon BDC scope. You should have been there to hear me teaching him about Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Another story for another day.

My LR-308 is stock from DPMS except the muzzle break and I added a JP 2-stage trigger. It is a .5 MOA rifle and one of my favorites to take shooting/hunting. I have probably let a dozen guys shoot this rifle here in Texas and every one of them has bought one. We have used it at Shooting events around the country and guys have blown up 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 623 yards by utilizing Spot On and Nikon's BDC Reticle. Many of the guys shot targets from 100,200,300,400,500, 623 and went 100%. Pretty cool for pretty much a stock rifle. It is a heavy beast to haul around hunting. Last June I had the task of putting 1000 rounds through a DPMS .308 Oracle while testing a scope mount. Let me tell you, I was impressed. It shot just a shade over 1 inch and never let up from first to last round. I got it so hot I melted part of my vinyl rest to the barrel. Not one misfire or failure to feed either. I know this sounds like fun but when it's 104 deg. outside and you're doing this, it is exhausting. Not to mention loading, thanks to a Lula loader or my  thumbs would have been raw.