• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New LR308 build with Aero enhanced M5

Hi everyone,  let me first say sorry for not reading 'every' post in this section that might help me but I just don't have the time. I'm in the process of building my first large frame AR and am just seeking some advice/suggestions. I'll start with the parts on hand stuff in my best Garandthumb voice "from tip to butt":

precision armament hypertrap muzzle break

criterion 22" DPMS pattern hvy. hybrid barrel

I do have a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, clamp style, but I'm not sold on using it yet

rifle length gas tube from Aero Precision, but I wanted the Rosco one

Aero Precision Enhanced upper/M5 lower, both stripped (I REALLY like their enhanced uppers)

Aero Precision Enhanced rail, 15"

Radian charging handle

Aero Precision LPK minus the fcg because I haven't decided on a trigger yet, and I plan on using Radians ambi selector as soon as I get one

Ergo tactical deluxe grip

Standart A2 rifle lenth buffer tube

both a Magpul PRS and a LuthAR mba1

What's needed so far is the BCG, trigger, maybe a non-adjustable gas block(which I prefer), and to finish off the gas system with a buffer and spring. Let me just state that this build for me is about reaching out and touching someone at distance. I'm really trying to see how far this 308 will go accurately and am not worried about carrying it for time or maneuverability, that's a whole different build for the future. So to my questions, any suggestions on a BCG to match the intent of this build? I know times are hard and it might take a while, but I can wait. Also, I've always wanted to try JP's silent capture system, anyone have experience with that in this form? If not that, suggestions on finishing up my gas system?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Mik

37 minutes ago, 808chx.irradicator said:

Hi everyone,  let me first say sorry for not reading 'every' post in this section that might help me but I just don't have the time. I'm in the process of building my first large frame AR and am just seeking some advice/suggestions. I'll start with the parts on hand stuff in my best Garandthumb voice "from tip to butt":

precision armament hypertrap muzzle break

criterion 22" DPMS pattern hvy. hybrid barrel

I do have a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, clamp style, but I'm not sold on using it yet

rifle length gas tube from Aero Precision, but I wanted the Rosco one

Aero Precision Enhanced upper/M5 lower, both stripped (I REALLY like their enhanced uppers)

Aero Precision Enhanced rail, 15"

Radian charging handle

Aero Precision LPK minus the fcg because I haven't decided on a trigger yet, and I plan on using Radians ambi selector as soon as I get one

Ergo tactical deluxe grip

Standart A2 rifle lenth buffer tube

both a Magpul PRS and a LuthAR mba1

What's needed so far is the BCG, trigger, maybe a non-adjustable gas block(which I prefer), and to finish off the gas system with a buffer and spring. Let me just state that this build for me is about reaching out and touching someone at distance. I'm really trying to see how far this 308 will go accurately and am not worried about carrying it for time or maneuverability, that's a whole different build for the future. So to my questions, any suggestions on a BCG to match the intent of this build? I know times are hard and it might take a while, but I can wait. Also, I've always wanted to try JP's silent capture system, anyone have experience with that in this form? If not that, suggestions on finishing up my gas system?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Mik

Sorry but I didn't have time to read all of your posting....maybe next time....

4 hours ago, 808chx.irradicator said:

Superlative Arms adjustable gas block

I tried one on a 16 inch rifle gas build and found the by pass portion of the block would not let enough gas by to properly set it up, could not open it to the point of not functioning. The restrictive side of the block worked fine like any other restrictive type block. If you are not going to run a suppressor then you don't really need the adjustable block.

Fulton Armory has a real nice BCG with high pressure bolt for a good bit less than JP.

6 hours ago, 808chx.irradicator said:

What's needed so far is the BCG, trigger, maybe a non-adjustable gas block(which I prefer), and to finish off the gas system with a buffer and spring. Let me just state that this build for me is about reaching out and touching someone at distance. I'm really trying to see how far this 308 will go accurately and am not worried about carrying it for time or maneuverability, that's a whole different build for the future. So to my questions, any suggestions on a BCG to match the intent of this build? I know times are hard and it might take a while, but I can wait. Also, I've always wanted to try JP's silent capture system, anyone have experience with that in this form? If not that, suggestions on finishing up my gas system.

Try the gas tube that you have first, and make sure it reaches the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver.  If it's short, you'll need the Armalite AR-10 gas tube equivalent.

Trigger, start out with a LaRue MBT-2S.  It's cheap, and it's made from S7 tool steel, and it's great-priced.  Work with that for now, and I'll bet you never feel the need to change it out.

Leave the recoil system for last.  When you DO add the recoil system, use basic parts first, and not fancy shiit like silent-captured this-n-that.  You're running a rifle recoil system.  Use a .308AR rifle buffer (5.200" long and 5.4oz), and just use an Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.  Make a functioning gun, and when it runs and it's broken in - start changing out for some of the fancy, Race Gun parts. 

My $0.02 on the whole affair.

4 minutes ago, Thirstydg323 said:

Does he know what length gas tube he needs yet?  :popcorn:  It's gonna be Armalite or DPMS-based - and those are AR15 gas tubes, with a different bend than .308AR-based height-over-bore.

Something to think about when recommending parts.  Again, just my $0.02 on the whole affair.

You make a functioning gun, first, with basic parts.  You spice it up later, with all the fancy shiit.

20 hours ago, Thirstydg323 said:

I only come over here to listen to you regurgitate the same thing every other day to your 12 posters.

I loved reading your accurate AR thread.

At least I keep you coming around.   Thank God you're here.   :thumbup::hail:

If we ever bore you, then...

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 4:49 PM, jtallen83 said:

I tried one on a 16 inch rifle gas build and found the by pass portion of the block would not let enough gas by to properly set it up, could not open it to the point of not functioning. The restrictive side of the block worked fine like any other restrictive type block. If you are not going to run a suppressor then you don't really need the adjustable block.

Fulton Armory has a real nice BCG with high pressure bolt for a good bit less than JP.

@jtallen83 thanks for the recommendation on bcg!

On 7/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, 98Z5V said:

Try the gas tube that you have first, and make sure it reaches the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver.  If it's short, you'll need the Armalite AR-10 gas tube equivalent.

Trigger, start out with a LaRue MBT-2S.  It's cheap, and it's made from S7 tool steel, and it's great-priced.  Work with that for now, and I'll bet you never feel the need to change it out.

Leave the recoil system for last.  When you DO add the recoil system, use basic parts first, and not fancy shiit like silent-captured this-n-that.  You're running a rifle recoil system.  Use a .308AR rifle buffer (5.200" long and 5.4oz), and just use an Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.  Make a functioning gun, and when it runs and it's broken in - start changing out for some of the fancy, Race Gun parts. 

My $0.02 on the whole affair.

@98Z5V  Thanks for the 02 cents! The LaRue trigger and Armalite spring kit 'should' be arriving soon, tracking's kinda sketchy but they're on the way. Your earlier comment about the gas tube and hob, so far it looks like the Aero tube will work but we'll see. I'm looking for a non-adjustable gas block and will probably go with the Fulton bcg recommended by jtallen83. My next post I'll take pics of all the parts and the build process.