• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Alternate sighting for a 300BLK AR handgun

BrianK

So now my 10.3" build wears a MRO and that works fine. But when the ATF reclassifies arm braced handguns as SBRs* what do I do? Plus I needed a second way to aim the handgun anyway. Sure, I could use the single point sling and push against it and that's still an option. But this build is to take the place of a 12ga bullpup. That shotgun is set up with a light. So I figured a light was called for, but since it's only one projectile I also wanted a laser. Anyone who has looked at them has seen $1600+ prices. I didn't want that. I don't expect to need mil' spec', I'm many decades past picturing myself crawling through the puckerbrush.

I found 3 reasonably priced light/lasers from UTG, TruGlo, and Sightmark. All are relatively small. I wound up going with the TruGlo TruPoint with the green laser since it's more visible and I wanted a different color from the reticle of the MRO. Different colors makes it easier to adjust the laser to the sighted in MRO. It came in today and it looks to be a pretty decent unit. It looks to be well sealed but I didn't put it under water to test it. The light is bright enough to do the job out to at least 50 yards, and no shot in my home is 50 yards so just how many lumens are required? It's plenty bright enough for any potential longest indoor shots. It arrived with the laser pretty much collimated to the pic' rail so only minor adjustment was required.

If I need to use it for clearing my home, and that's way down on my list of things I ever want to do. That's what a call to 911 accomplishes. My plan is to tuck it under my arm supported by a single point sling and use it that way in a protected position with my support hand near the muzzle for best control. I tried that tonight and it'll work fine. But I figured it would since that's what I worked out with the bullpup 12 ga.

I still need to find out if it can use rechargeable Li-Ion cells so that I can break the primary cell leash and use the sun for charging the cells used in it.

I'm happy with it so far.

*I hope they don't but they are Biden sycophants. Of course I could SBR it too but it just seems wrong to me for the ATF to reclassify something to force me to pay $200 and register it for something that will probably be temporary anyway.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like you have a plan and a pretty good one the next step I would take is practice with it in every position you think you could be in and see how it works both in the dark and in the light... let us know...

Damn this is a old thread......

Edited by Magwa

On 7/30/2021 at 9:24 PM, BrianK said:

But when the ATF reclassifies arm braced handguns as SBRs* what do I do?

Tell them to FUK themselves, and show proof of the date that you had to 4473 the lower (by serial number), and tell them to bring the court case... 

On 11/26/2021 at 10:37 AM, Magwa said:

Sounds like you have a plan and a pretty good one the next step I would take is practice with it in every position you think you could be in and see how it works both in the dark and in the light... let us know...

Damn this is a old thread......

I have been. It works fine for what it's designed for... to protect us in the designated safe room and tucked under my arm in case I need to clear my own home. But that's really low on my bucket list. All of that is really close in usage. It's just point and shoot with the laser. In fact I liked the idea so much that I bought another Truglo laser/light and put it on a bullpup shotgun. The laser isn't for outdoors though. Why? Here in the USA lasers are limited to 5mw and on a bright day with the target in direct sunlight even a green dot washes out. But indoors day or night it works fine. It might not in a sunroom but I can't test that. FWIW, for longer range use right now I can bring it up and use the MRD, but even there I have tried it outdoors at distances that would be very hard to justify as HD unless it's a time of war, and it works fine tucked under the arm. But in a time of war I wouldn't ask permission I would just drive 6 miles, buy the parts, and SBR it. Then I can use the MRD sight the way nature intended.

98z, the thing that helps those ATF scumbags is that they have endless deep pockets and the money in those pockets comes from us. Then after stealing our money to enslave us, to fight them we only have our remaining $ in our pockets. Fighting them individually would destroy most people and that includes me. They know that and use it. Now if a few thousand fought it together that would work. But fighting them in the courts just means they'll be back. There are other ways to fight them where... And I'll let the reader finish the thought.