• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS LR-308 barrel swap

cjolson

Ok guys, I have read about this til my head hurts and still havent found definite answers.  

I have a DPMS LR-308.  Trying to identify this rifle and it appears to be a super high upper receiver as the top rail measures 0.5185".  The 4 digit Serial number does not include a K so I assume it is a factory built, although I did not purchase rifle new.  

It has a 24" Heavy stainless barrel so is super heavy.  I would like to do a barrel swap to make this a useable piece of equipment.  I will likely put a thermal on it for coyotes and hogs and thats why I would like to shave some weight.

At this point, I dont really know where to start.

Thanks for any help or direction that can be offered.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, 98Z5V said:

It's this big thing:

DPMS LR-308 AR-10, Semi-Automatic, .308 Winchester, 24" Bull Barrel, 19+1  Rounds - 633841, Semi-Automatic at Sportsman's Guide

Aero M5 upper receiver will pin to a DPMS LR-308 lower, DPMS is out of business.  Just get an M5 upper, and put whatever barrel you want in it.  Ask questions first, before you buy parts.  :thumbup:

Good advice, and after you do that you can build a nice lower and have two 308 AR rifles!!! Aero is the bomb, they make some beautiful stuff at very reasonable prices, if I didn't have an addiction to the Wilson Combat "Bill et" receiver I would be building Aero.. but addictions are hard to explain to your family!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 3:00 PM, cjolson said:

It has a 24" Heavy stainless barrel so is super heavy.  I would like to do a barrel swap to make this a useable piece of equipment. 

Based on that right there, I am guessing you're wanting to just change the barrel, not the whole upper. Pretty much any aftermarket barrel made for the DPMS platform (which is mostly what's out there) will fit your upper. I personally would start by looking at what Faxon has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 4:00 PM, cjolson said:

Ok guys, I have read about this til my head hurts and still havent found definite answers.  

I have a DPMS LR-308.  Trying to identify this rifle and it appears to be a super high upper receiver as the top rail measures 0.5185".  The 4 digit Serial number does not include a K so I assume it is a factory built, although I did not purchase rifle new.  

It has a 24" Heavy stainless barrel so is super heavy.  I would like to do a barrel swap to make this a useable piece of equipment.  I will likely put a thermal on it for coyotes and hogs and thats why I would like to shave some weight.

At this point, I dont really know where to start.

Thanks for any help or direction that can be offered.

I don't know where you live but If it was around my area (Central Texas).   

Most AR and LR  gunsmithing shops could arrange a swap-out with you. for your upper, are you wanting to keep the original stock and lower receiver group?