• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

gas rings on bolts?

unforgiven

Have read applying oil with finger a little more than light,RRA says spread notches 120deg. some say not necessary others say don't need them and one company has a one piece set.How long do they last and when do you need to change them or how do you know you need to change them ???.Shoot on bros.

I've only known them to burn up on a full auto gun. Never played with a supressor, so I can't say if that will burn them faster.

You'll know just by looking at them. When they cook they will bend and twist. If they're just dirty you should be able to scrap off the carbon. I pull my bolt out and scrub it real good with a copper brush.

Although, now that I have a piston kit my gas rings are history.

• 2 weeks later...

In basic we were always taught to ensure the gaps in the bolt rings were separated. Later, as I grew with the rifle I began to believe it's really a non-issue.

...Although, now that I have a piston kit my gas rings are history.

If it's an add-on kit, I'd keep the piston rings on the bolt to minimize the amount of "wobble" or bolt bounce in the bolt as it unlocks and retracts into the bolt carrier. This allows the bolt carrier to stay on a truer course as it moves into and out of the receiver extension. Also, periodically check the lip of the receiver extension near the buffer detent for excessive wear.

One way to check the condition of the gas rings is to extend the bolt all the way, then stand the complete BCG up on the bolt (balance it for a second if you have to, so it doesn't fall over).  If it stands up on it's own weight, and the bolt doesn't collapse into the carrier, then the gas rings are fine.  If it falls down and the bolt sinks into the BCG, you need new rings.

If it's an add-on kit, I'd keep the piston rings on the bolt to minimize the amount of "wobble" or bolt bounce in the bolt as it unlocks and retracts into the bolt carrier. This allows the bolt carrier to stay on a truer course as it moves into and out of the receiver extension. Also, periodically check the lip of the receiver extension near the buffer detent for excessive wear.

Good to know! This was my first piston conversion. I took on this task without knowing much at all of the piston kits. I had wondered if there would be any wobble in there. Adams Arms actually advises, in the installation instructions, to remove the gas rings. I still have yet to shoot it.

...Adams Arms actually advises, in the installation instructions, to remove the gas rings.

Then the bolt carrier is probably milled a little tighter for a snugger fit between the bolt and bolt carrier. My POF bolt doesn't have rings either, but their bolt carrier has some additional mass and an off center carrier key to mitigate bolt bounce and carrier tilt. My LWRCi bolt, on the other hand, has rings.