• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA-10 Gen III - JP SLS

AJN

Hey guys, new to the forum but have been lurking for a while since I’ve purchased my PA-10 to get some tips and upgrade things. 

Important to note that this is my first AR 308 platform, and I’m always keen on upgrading the garbage crap that’s typically included in built uppers (they’ve only recently had upper receivers back in stock at PSA, so had to buy a built one initially). 

so on to the question: I know there have been many buffer / recoil system issues with PA-10s which I’ve looked through here - great resource. 

im wondering if instead of the typical armalite tube and springco / heavy H3 buffer systems if anyone has any experience with the JP SLS systems for carbine buffer tubes. They list these as H2, but I’ve grow to love the silent capture system so would love to give that a shot. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-10K-H2

Most important would prob be that I’ve replaced the PSA barrel with a 16” BA Hanson profile middy and an SA adjustable. 
https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-308-ba-hanson-midlength-ar-308-barrel-premium-black-series.html

Currently getting the toolcraft BCG that came with the upper and the new BA barrel inspected by a local gunsmith for headspace and measure the gas port dia (don’t have go/no go gauges nor appropriate bits myself).

Anyway what do you think of the JP as an option? Def not opposed to grabbing another 7” milspec carbine buffer to avoid any depth issues people have experienced was thinking of a BCM tube to avoid screwed up manuf. from PSA even though it measures 7” already. Curious on everyones thoughts.

Have you shot this rifle in its original gas and recoil system form?  If not, do that first to see if it runs.  Thinking this or that might be wrong is only waisting brain power until you actually shoot the thing.  There is an adage that runs around here that applies to these large frame guns,   "DON'T COMPLICATE $HIT WITH COMPLICATED $HIT".    Go out and shoot it as it is before you start throwing money at a problem you might not have.  If you have a problem come back here with it and folks will get it sorted out for you provided the advice given is listened to.

Thanks for the response dpete, hasn’t been fired and have no desire to shoot the PSA barrel. I’m upgrading it as a platform not looking for a fix (hindsight obv 20-20, should’ve gone aero but here we are).

Any feedback on JP stuff much appreciated!

JP stuff is for race guns and guns built to play shooting games.

I replaced my PA10's barrel w/a 16" balastic advantage barrel because I wanted a shorter barrel. The factory barrel shot almost as good as the balastic advantage barrel I replaced it with. I have a rifle recoil system and stock on this one but the 308 pistol I built on Palmetto receivers has an Armalite carbine recoil system on it.

Shoot what you have now and see if the gun runs before you change things around.

JP makes great stuff, especially if you’re into building a competition gun and like to reload your own rounds. If you’re going to spend that kind of money and play those types of games as shooterrex  called it, I’d be inclined to build a gun ground up for that and not throw those parts on a PSA. Get the PSA gun configured the way you want it and enjoy it. Save the fancy parts for another build - just my thoughts. Lots of car analogies around here. If you want to throw race parts on a Corolla, that’s between you and your wallet.

Thanks for the replies, all great advice. 

I’ll do some work to see if the buffer they sent is any good and work from there. 

agreed the JP buffers are expensive as hell but honestly I think I ruined myself putting one on a 300blk build hard to back to the twang. 

Right, another important part about it. 

After asking BA the port size they came back and said it’s at .0700. Will have it measured but for mid length has system I’m curious if anyone has any good insight to making it run as smooth / clean as possible considering the adjustable gas block is also there. Would love to tune this sucker to be perfect with the right buffer if the one PSA shipped doesn’t work out.