• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

#@$#@ %#@^&^% PRIMERS!!!

barrysuperhawk

I just set off a primer in my press, twice in 3 hours, once in .45 and once in .308.  I have black specs on my forehead and on my glasses, and I cannot hear anything but this ringing noise....

A POX on any manufacturer that switches from large primers to small primers on brass that's SUPPOSED to be large primed.  I don't care what weasel reason they have, I don't care if it's cheaper or greener or if it makes an AK group subMOA at 1200 meters, it sucks and I hate it.  Especially PPU .308 and Federal .45ACP, the bastards.  It's not enough to have to sort for berdan priming and for crimped primers, now we have to look out for SMALL primers too? 

That's all I have.

I was discussing this with a reloading master of boom-zen.  We hypothesized that when primers for centerfire first came out, all they needed was large.  As time passed, and cases for smokeless powder got smaller and smaller, they needed a pygmy primer.  So now we have two sizes.

Certainly they can get the spark hot enough with a small primer to ignite the hardest to light powders.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

I was discussing this with a reloading master of boom-zen.  We hypothesized that when primers for centerfire first came out, all they needed was large.  As time passed, and cases for smokeless powder got smaller and smaller, they needed a pygmy primer.  So now we have two sizes.

Certainly they can get the spark hot enough with a small primer to ignite the hardest to light powders.

Jon

Actually, its not possible for the small primer to ignight large quanties of powder.

Federal had to come out with a "special", that has now become "standard" for the large british cases.

The small primers in 308 came out of the benchresters desire for it befor  brass was  available for the BR ctgs, and they had to be formed from std 308. An inch and a half case takes a lot less powder than a std 308.

Federal once made a small run of 30-30 brass with small primers, again, for the BR crowd.

Boy!!!  I wish I still had some of those 30-30 cases.  They really did make a difference with some of the wildcats!

Respectfully

Terry