• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Question about a 20MOA mount

Ok I sighted in at 50yds 0.4" high. Balastic program says that's what will make it dead on at 200yds. So why is it shooting 4" high at 275 yds? Am I missing something.

This is my 6.5 Creedmoor.

I only have targets at 50 ,89, and 275 yds this time of year with crops in The field.

Shooting Hornady American Gunner 140's

Does the ballistic program 

A: have a scope over bore dimension setting? Maybe you are off a little there. 

B: what does the table show you should have at 275 yards?

I don't like to use a 50 yard number to set up a ballistic table, to much chance for inaccuracy. Things like sight over bore dimension are a lot more critical the closer you get. 

8 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Supposed to be 0.5" low at 50yds not high.

That will make a tremendous difference in the rest of the dope chart, brother. Re-zero that thing, and get back after it, and confirm your chart.  After that, you'll have the confidence to trust it, and verify it at longer distances.  "Ballistic Truing."

19 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Balastic program says that's what will make it dead on at 200yds.

Question, here...   Why are you going for a 200-yard zero?  That complicates things later on, for shooting longer distances - and that cartridge will do longer distances, easily.

Why not set the ballistic chart up for a 100-yard zero, alleviate some of those issues, and use the chart to zero at the distance you have, for 100?

I have 30 MOA in the base on my .300 WIn Mag.  With the Nikon scope I have, I can't zero shorter than 500 yards.  It's dead-nuts at 500 yards, too.  I have to use hold-unders to shoot shorter.  It's 16.9 mils of dial for a mile, though.  I'd zero it shorter, if I could zero it shorter.  My 500-yard zero complicates things for me.  I don't have the internal travel in the scope, with the 30 MOA base, to do any better than that, so I live with it/deal with it.