• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Panther DP-10

Meat

I have a DPMS Panther DP-10 that is marked caliber .308.  I have been using NATO 7.62X51 in it with no problems.  I  would like someone if possible for information on whether it's safe too utilize Winchester. 308 since it is marked .308.  I have read several articles on not to use the .308 in an ar-10 due to the cartrage head space wall thickness and the 2000psi increased chamber pressure.  I don't want to blow it up since it shoots sub .500 groups @ 200 yards and I've got it tamed down!

On 8/21/2022 at 8:34 PM, Meat said:

I have a DPMS Panther DP-10 that is marked caliber .308.  I have been using NATO 7.62X51 in it with no problems.  I  would like someone if possible for information on whether it's safe too utilize Winchester. 308 since it is marked .308.  I have read several articles on not to use the .308 in an ar-10 due to the cartrage head space wall thickness and the 2000psi increased chamber pressure.  I don't want to blow it up since it shoots sub .500 groups @ 200 yards and I've got it tamed down!

It's safe, shoot all the .308 Winchester you like through it. It's not a mil-surp with a ton of wear and questionable metallurgical integrity, which is where you actually have to nitpick about such. Go enjoy your rifle with the round it was designed for and forget the naysayers that are trying to propagate outdated and irrelevant information.

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

I had a DPMS Panther for nine years ran 2000 + rounds of 308 through it with out any problems. The gun is built like a tank.

That was one built by DPMS, back in the day, brother - not a copy of the PSA PA-10 3rd iteration.  :thumbup:

On 8/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, Matt.Cross said:

It's safe, shoot all the .308 Winchester you like through it. It's not a mil-surp with a ton of wear and questionable metallurgical integrity, which is where you actually have to nitpick about such. Go enjoy your rifle with the round it was designed for and forget the naysayers that are trying to propagate outdated and irrelevant information.

The rule is the opposite of 5.56/223,  in the this case 7.62/51 is lower pressure than 308, and all AR/LRs will shoot 308, and I own an original DPMS as well and there is no issue and impossible to have just by the ammo facts

On 8/21/2022 at 8:34 PM, Meat said:

I'm missing something 308 is 308 what does a lack of a winchester mark mean?