• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PMC Brass

NightStalker

1 hour ago, NightStalker said:

Looking at some PMC 308, is the brass good to reload?

I’ve loaded a bunch of PMC 223 with no issues, I would expect anything different from their 308 but thought I would ask.  

I have always had good luck with PMC brass. I would take the time to fill one with water and weigh it on a digital scale both full and empty to check the internal volume. If you have a Lake City M-80 brass you can compare it to so much the better. Or the brass used in a reloading manual. That will give you an idea if you are at a similar internal volume. If I remember correctly, I found PMC brass weighed slightly more and had slightly less internal volume, which meant more brass for strength but slightly higher pressures. Don’t depend on my recollection though, check it.

I like PMC brass for reloading - what it was.  5.56 gets reloaded for 55gr 5.56 loads.  The .308 gets reloaded for 150gr .308 range loads.  No issues that way.  I tried using PMC Bronze 5.56 to convert to 300BLK brass, and the bases were bulged on the 3rd load of 300BLK. Stick in the die 8 times out of 10 on the 3rd load, so I threw the rest away that I'd cut and converted.  For BLK, after that, I only converted LC NATO 5.56 brass, or used real once-fired BLK brass. 

For sticking to the same cartridge, the PMC brass is still decent - I don't toss it, I do reload it. 

Edited by 98Z5V