• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lightest .308 Upper & Lower Receiver?

Glockslap

I think all (except Armilite) AR 308 lowers are billet & the DPMS uppers are not . My SI defence upper is a little heavier than my DPMS upper that's not billet .

The SID does have an extra rail on the left side , that I removed , so that would add weight even with out the rail on there . Its got a block , raised portion of the upper where the rail bolts to & it doesn't have a forward assist like my DPMS has.

I don't think there's enough of a difference there to matter on the receivers, upper or lowers.

I really need to know the weight difference on these items.  1 ounce-not worth it.  3-6 oz?  Worth it...maybe  <dontknow>

I heard this a lot when I started my build. People asked me if it was worth all I spent when I bought lightweight parts. My explanation is, if I save only 1oz. at a time, but I save it on 16 different parts... then I am still 1 pound lighter than where i would have been. In the end, all those 1oz parts add up. It also afforded me the ability to buy sturdier parts that may have been 1 or 2 oz heavier than a standard part (like my stainless BCG). Lightweight is nice, but reliability costs lives.

SS, you and Imschur have the SI-D GenII receivers. When i bought my SI-D they told me that the GenIII receiver set was 20% lighter than other similar receivers. I don't have the rail on the side of mine.

What do you put on that rail?

That's a good question  & is why I removed the rail. I 'm sure you can put any thing there you put on a rail on a hand guard , but I would think , your arm would get in the way , some what.

Mine doesn't have a forwad assist , I think the Gen III does, so that has to add . 20 % sounds like a lot , but when dealing with ,light , to begin with , not so much.

I think , as I said , the upper & lower , would not be the place to lighten things up , there is not much there to scrimp on & would you want to ?

The barrel is the big weight in any 308 or other rifle  & stock choice is the next . You could go light weight BC , but you have to adj. other things to make them work properly. Like adding weight to the buffer.

When I assembled my Kaiser gun, I remember being surprised that I could actually feel the difference in weight between the Kaiser receiver set and the MA TEN set I had on hand at the time. I remember asking Greg (the owner of Kaiser) about it and he claimed that his receiver set was the lightest billit set available at that time. I seem to recall that the difference between the two sets was something like 4-5oz. My opinion (based on no documented testing) is that the thinner walled upper receivers (like the Kaiser) may be able to flex a little more than a heavier walled upper. I'm thinking bench rest bolt action receiver vs hunting rifle receiver, I realize that in an AR the barrel extension actually mates to the bolt, unlike a bolt action, but I think that a heavier walled receiver "may" be capable of being more accurate than a thinner walled, all other things being equal. I just weighed the billit POF rec set that I have on hand at the moment and it weighs 1lb 12oz. using a kitchen scale. Any chance your receiver is still stripped Robocop? If so maybe you could give us a weight?