• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loading for LR-308

Sparkylr308

Good morning. Do any of you guys load for the LR-308? I am curious if you have and tips or tricks for it. When I have loaded 556 ammo I have ran into load data being to soft to cycle my AR. Curious if this happens with 308 as well. Also if anyone has any preferred loads that work well for them. I have in hand 168 gr sierra match king hpbt, varget, ar comp, imr4064 for powder. Thank you!

On 9/9/2022 at 9:00 AM, Sparkylr308 said:

@Albroswifti don’t have a ton of ar-comp on hand. Did you like using varget at all?

Used varget for years. Nothing wrong with it at all, just getting better SD's with the AR Comp. Maybe a little more forgiving, who knows. Seeing how you have both, work up a couple ladders and make your own assessment. 

23 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@Albroswifti haven’t ran the numbers for SD yet with this data. The load data I am using has 45.9 grains as max and it’s compressed. 

45.9 seems pretty high, watch for signs sneak up slowly. Nothing wrong with slightly compressed loads as long as you don't start deforming the case. 168 Sierra shows 44 max on loaddata, but 168 Sierra HPBT does show 45.9.  I like to see SD's when I'm running a ladder, fastest isn't always bestest.