• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for a better bolt catch

Well, I've tried researching Brownells and the forums but not having much luck.

I want to find a better bolt catch for a DPMS LR 308 AP4. The one on there is a bit pointy for my delicate fingers. Something like this would be nice, but this one seems to be for a 15

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5565/Product/AR-15-TACTICAL-BOLT-RELEASE

It has a nice fat release button.

I don't need an ambidextrous or extended, just bigger.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the help Robo.

SI-Defence seem to be pretty scarce these days and when you mentioned pricey, I thought OK so they're $25 or so.

But $78 for a bolt catch? I agree, stainless is sexy. That kind of money for a bolt catch should include a happy ending.

Glad I couldn't find one, probably would have gotten it.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot really help you but I do want to caution you about using an AR15 bolt release/catch on the LR-308. I built all 4 of mine using the then DPMS approved of AR-15 bolt catch/release only to have DPMS come out last year, maybe late 2010, and say that the AR-15 piece will not work as well as they first thought.  Seems some people have had problems with them not locking back and such.  So, DPMS now sells a special LR-308 bolt catch and release.  I corresponded with DPMS not really wanting to believe that I needed to change out all 4 of the ones I had which I have never had that first problem with, but they convinced me that for $12 or so it would be cheap insurance, so I changed them.  No problem on the three DPMS lowers but on the Tactical Machine lower, it was a real PITA to change out, but that is another story for another day.

The new catch paddles are not any bigger than the AR-15 so I doubt the new bolt catch/release would be any better for you, but do make sure you are getting one designed for the LR-308 and not the AR-15.

I agree with you Big Bore. When looking up parts on DPMS website, if it clearly states ".308" in the name of the part, I made it a point find a replacement with the same naming convention. IE. No .223 parts.

It may be a bit limiting, but until I am satisfied with my level of knowledge on the subject, sticking with what you know will work isn't a bad idea.