• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Proper Side Charging BCG ??s

BeeKay

What are the options for getting a decent quality Bolt Carrier for use with a side charging mechanism ?

I bought a couple of side charging uppers from BCA and I like the design of the side charging handle, but the finish quality of the Bolt Carrier is mediocre and I'm not sure about the metallurgy.   They are functioning well, and finish quality is superficial, but if it reflects anything about metallurgy then wear may be an issue..

So what are guys doing  ?   Can a good quality BCG be drilled and tapped ?    It seems like the angles aren't correct for the same geometry of BCA (Bear Creek Arsenal) style handle.

Thanks for any suggestions 

Edited by BeeKay

I have as ASA non reciprocating side charger. Pretty cool design. I really don't like the ones that thread into the carrier. Seems like a hassle waiting to happen. 

With that said, it still seems like a novelty. In theory there are a few scenarios where it could be beneficial, but unlikely in practice. 

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

I have as ASA non reciprocating side charger. Pretty cool design. I really don't like the ones that thread into the carrier. Seems like a hassle waiting to happen. 

With that said, it still seems like a novelty. In theory there are a few scenarios where it could be beneficial, but unlikely in practice. 

I tried searching ASA, with no results other than Arizona State Armory - but didn't see a web site

On 9/29/2022 at 12:53 AM, blue109 said:

American Spirit Arms out of AZ. Maybe they went under.

They did.  They shut down.   They used to offer a machining service for any BCG that you'd send them, to convert it to their side-charger setup.  IIRC, it was pretty cheap, like $25 or something like that.