• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bushnell AR Optics 1-8x24mm

Brownell's made me bite on a one day sale awhile back, I see others are putting heavy discounts on this scope as well, not sure if it's the scope or the times but I'm scope poor so I rolled the dice. I have a first generation Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 to compare it to, comparable value when I figure the mount came with the Vortex. 

Warranty wise I think the Vortex gets a nod, Bushnell says lifetime in big print then defines lifetime as 30 years in fine print, maybe Vortex does, I haven't read it but I sure never heard a bad thing on their warranty, no questions, Bushnell does that on only their most expensive stuff. Size wise the the Bushnell takes it, lighter, smaller footprint, the turret section of the Vortex seems massive. Illumination depends on need, if you do night vision then the Vortex is it. If you want the brightest then the Bushnell edges ahead, both dials felt fine for me and have off spots between settings. Both have the same really tight eye box at least compared to the higher tier stuff, still perfectly usable hunting scopes, I say closer to 3 1/2 than 4 inches on the eye relief for both. The reticles are very similar, I lean to the Bushnell but only because I and family have several scopes with that reticle, the nail in the sale for me. The Vortex doesn't have a lever, the bushnell has two, and they are a waste, if repeated fast changing of the zoom is something you will do I would warn you off from what I feel, it moves too easy and has some very clear changes in the pressure it takes to rotate, several changes through the rotation it feels sketchy compared to the much stiffer but smoother Vortex. It's not a true 1x but you can red dot with it like the Vortex, the Vortex might block just a tiny bit more vision with it's bigger turrets, maybe, they are the same on glass from my uneducated eyes, both are not the best at 8x, you get that fuzz around the perimeter, comparing to higher end optics now, don't think you are gonna get Nightforce or close caliber glass on either. The turrets actually feel pretty good and are easy to run with your fingers if you like spinning dials, otherwise the caps are pretty low profile, The feel of the clicks is very good, solid detent, audible click, easy to get the number of clicks you desire. The Vortex suffers greatly here, it is very mushy with only a hint of detent, it's challenging for me to just move one click or even tell if I did move a click, that said the Vortex has over 150 rounds of 338 Fed and once zeroed it had not been an issue..... until I went and got spin happy comparing them without thinking how much a zero costs in ammo......... turrets on the Bushnell were a pleasant surprise. I'll report back when it has some recoil under the belt.

https://www.primaryarms.com/bushnell-ar-optics-1-8x24mm-riflescope-btr-1-reticle

100_0619.thumb.JPG.6df1fe71998c73157997b99f68dcc73d.JPG

IMG_4667.thumb.jpg.7382702f81c70aaa5ffc31c7af68ab26.jpg

100_0621.thumb.JPG.f667a27660e475d8dce35bc9b5815e8d.JPG

100_0622.thumb.JPG.eb942f690036f4bfc5ea7cf3ba79ca6e.JPG

100_0620.JPG

Looks like the reticle for this is designed for 55gr up to 62gr projectiles - and there's a BIG difference in the performance of those two projectiles.  Wouldn't be any good for the 75gr or 77gr projectiles - it would be way off, at distance.  The entire purpose of the reticle is BDC to 600 yards.  For 55gr, it might be on.  It won't for 62gr. It won't be right for the 68/69gr match ammo available.  It'll be far off, if you shoot 75 or 77 grain. 

I found the info for the reticle from the manual online.

https://www.bushnell.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-HuntShootAccessoriesSharedLibrary/default/dw8c9325f9/productPdfFiles/AROpticsScopes_all2018models_5LIM-RV0222.pdf

1664453681_Bushnell1-8reticle.png.ffe090a4b63827988973e2fbfc68c1c3.png

Yes, for sure not a scope you want if distance is your thing, doubt your sniping many critters with it past 300 yards or so but it will get you close with some effort. I've yet to find a BDC I could just run with on a gun, seems to always be some adjusting to do at range, I tape on a little picture when things are set, Strelok helps me with the math to get there. I'm sure that out of the box combo is out there but for $219 I don't expect all that. I'm just happy I can have some uniformity across several rifles, if PA would have been further along with their optics when I started buying this reticle years ago I wouldn't have many Bushnells, their bdc turret for the 3-18 model is set up for a 155 gr. in 308?, same guy that figured 55 and 62 were close enough to each other I gather.............. PA has the reticle stuff happening in a logical way.

That is the problem with just about any BDC style scope. You have to get out there and make your own adjustments based on what is in the cartridges you are shooting. I have kept a Nikon Monarch 4x16 standard crosshair scope on my AR10 rifle since I got it. And while I don’t get the opportunity to go past 300 yards much, even at that range I find some significant variation in loads. That is why God invented pocket notebooks, is to record what each load does in a particular rifle. With that info, I don’t find lack of a BDC on that rifle much of an inconvenience. I do need to do a better job of measuring the clicks off the standard zero for individual loads. My hearing is so bad On some scopes I need to really concentrate to feel the clicks in my fingers. My Burris is like that. Not my Nikon thankfully.

1633136236_Screenshot2022-10-24at11_31_36AM.thumb.png.a187da84f794e15f5101ee4930361cfd.png

I don't have this scope entered yet but Strelok gets me close for each load, and would get me closer if I took the time to confirm all the data, the youngsters get this schit quick, I'll let whoever is gonna shoot this permanently figure out what they want for a picture, more than one way to shoot, I'm told some like math and dials, those that do will have skills beyond me ..... 14 grandkids is a pile of scopes, hope this one will hold up.