• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR carry handle

couture

Speaking about M16s here, where that A2 and A3 only matters, for carry handles...

The A2 carry handle rear sight had an adjustable rear elevation aperature for 800 yards.  The A3 (detachable) carry handle rear sight had an adjustable rear elevation aperature for 600 yards.  That's ONLY because you could dial for 800 yards when it was part of the upper receiver, but as soon as you made it detachable - and had a flat-top picatinny rail - you lost the depth to do that.  600 was the max, with a flat-top upper. 

A2 rear sight elevation wheels went down into the upper, far below what you could do to a flat-top upper. 

Hope that makes sense.  If not, search out drawings and specs on the two differences.

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Speaking about M16s here, where that A2 and A3 only matters, for carry handles...

The A2 carry handle rear sight had an adjustable rear elevation aperature for 800 yards.  The A3 (detachable) carry handle rear sight had an adjustable rear elevation aperature for 600 yards.  That's ONLY because you could dial for 800 yards when it was part of the upper receiver, but as soon as you made it detachable - and had a flat-top picatinny rail - you lost the depth to do that.  600 was the max, with a flat-top upper. 

A2 rear sight elevation wheels went down into the upper, far below what you could do to a flat-top upper. 

Hope that makes sense.  If not, search out drawings and specs on the two differences.

Not the OP, but thanks for the explanation. I’ve always wondered about that. 

11 minutes ago, JMJ said:

Not the OP, but thanks for the explanation. I’ve always wondered about that. 

I first noticed on the issued M4A1, with carry handle, circa 1995.  Everything looked like the A2 setup I'd had in the past.  Elevation drum only went to 600, not 800.  Went to my unit (civilian contract badass) Armorer and asked "WTF is this?  They mess it up?"  He explained it all to me.  Flat-tops don't have enough travel downward to sink that rear sight base, because they're flat-tops.  Different rear sight setups, due to that. 

Here's the parts for the true A2 (non-detachable carry handle)- you can see how long that thing is:

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 A2 Rear Sight Assembly

That sucker sinks into the upper receiver, which is milled for it:

How To Implement the RIBZ Sight Setting - Everyday Marksman

You can see where you wouldn't have that kind of travel with a detachable carry handle:

AR-15 Detachable Carry Handle | Rear Dual Aperture Sight | R

Anyway, that's the "why" about it all.

Modern technology, and smart people, have changed some of that, with National Match carry handle assemblies.  Those aren't common parts, though, and you'll pay for them.  Finer thread pitch for finer asjustment - but you still can't change the total travel of that sight, with that big screw-jack hanging off the bottom of it, on a detachable handle.

Here's an example:

Standard:

Standard A2 Rear Sight

National Match:

National Match Threads

sight

Here's the article that came from:

https://thenewrifleman.com/the-anatomy-of-a-national-match-sight/

I've got a National Match carry handle setup on a dedicated gun.  Rock River Arms, 1/4 MOA clicks, 0.040" hooded sight aperature.  It's pretty badass, and scary how accurate you can get it, just with iron sights.  Furthest I've taken it is 500 yards.  Had to wait forever for that thing to get to me, once I ordered it.  Fulton Armory has all kinds of parts, to covert standard carry handles to National Match guts - but it ain't cheap. 

Edited by 98Z5V