• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 AR Build - Issues

Turd Furgeson

Here was one solution from @Albroswift - Now, Albro is part gun-ninja, so something like this might not be pulled off by everybody, but it's worth a try.

I'm gonna look for that other thread with the measurements right now, and get it in here.  Just from looking at the numbers you posted, that is the problem that's happening here...

Here's one detailed thread with measurements - this one is fantastic, because JWard does great with the detailed pictures...  Read it through, he gets to bolt catch slot height...   This thread below is also a great resource, because it includes a link to our previous bolt catch study...

Okay - this is the big one - the big thread with tons of information, theories, etc...

Edited by 98Z5V

Excellent information 98Z5V!!!  Thanks Again. 

After reading through it all, and based on live fire results, I think I am very close.  In fact, when I rest the rifle on the mag, it functions well.  I noticed my magazine catch has some slop in it.  I shimmed it out (raised the mag slightly) and will retry live fire.  Albroswift, I have only used Magpul to date and was thinking the same thing.  I think I'm only a few thou off and between removing the slop out of the mag catch and a slightly hire mag, I hope to solve my issue.  JWard listed some mag height samples... so I'll order some of the higher ones (like the Lancer).

1 hour ago, Turd Furgeson said:

Excellent information 98Z5V!!!  Thanks Again.

Man, I'm just shooting spit-wads at the chalkboard right now, hoping we can narrow down the issue.  I think the mag catch slot is the issue here, hence, the spit-wads I shot... 

Victory!!!   It now runs like a striped-ass ape!  

Summary of what I did to make it run:

1-Installed the AR10 receiver extension kit (part #AR10REKIT01).
2-Installed 15.5” gas tube (Wilson Combat)
3-Installed round ejector (KAK)
4-Drilled gas port to .085”
5-Compensated for mag catch slot slightly too low by switching to Lancer mag and removing the slack out of the mag catch.

Big thanks to shooterrex, Albroswift, and especially 98Z5V for his expertise and excellent reference material.

I was just on Armalite's site, not seeing a lot of the parts including the kit referenced above. Was looking for the link for someone.

Checked a few other things I purchased in the past, handguard, sight, nada.

Went to Strategic Arms. Just sends me back to Armalite site. Seems like SAC was where I shopped before. 

Curious.