• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Athlon scopes

HHH

Well as my hunting rifle I'll take durability over weight because I'm not always easy on my rifles in the woods. I won't be removing the scope at all once mounted and zeroed unless it's replaced with a better option in the future so quick detach isn't a factor to me and if i ever decide to make it more versatile and put on a red dot it'll be an angle mount directly off rail as piggyback is a bit too tall for me. Still looking for good weight/durability/budget options while I get the gun tuned properly but I keep coming back to LaRue and ADM mounts

On 3/25/2023 at 3:07 AM, HHH said:

if i ever decide to make it more versatile and put on a red dot it'll be an angle mount directly off rail as piggyback is a bit too tall for me. Still looking for good weight/durability/budget options while I get the gun tuned properly but I keep coming back to LaRue and ADM mounts

This statement just changed things. Red above.

I'll tell you why, right here.  I have a couple LaRue mounts that I run red dots from - right off the mount.  Pic time:

18" 5.56 precision gun, LT-745 mount (only one I've ever bought, due to 158 shortages then), LaRue RMR Ring Half, HoloSun 507C red dot.

IMG_0890.thumb.JPG.854411b9db61cb9851d3c23a2a6e7b61.JPG

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.96a816bf5f1495b5f955ff188a68997e.JPG

Here's the 16" 5.56 precision gun, LT-158 mount, LaRue RMR ring half, HoloSun 507C on it, too.

IMG_0892.thumb.JPG.271f03a4f8466428df8ab4e4ca061967.JPG

In pics, it looks like it sits higher, but it doesn't.  It's in line with your optic line, if you just simple roll the gun to the left - that red dot is right there in line with your optical line through the magnified scope.  That LaRue RMR mount can be used on either side of their scope mount, so you can use that thing for right or left handed shooters.  Mount it on either side of the gun, run the red dot on either side of the gun.  The actual scope mount doesn't care, and the LaRue RMR ring half doesn't care.  The mounting plate that comes with it is universal (meaning IT doesn't care what side it's mounted on).  Has to be the Trijicon RMR footprint for the optic, though.  That's why I use the HoloSun 507C red dots - RMR footprint.

That right there should sell the LaRue LT-158 for you.  You can't do that with the ADM mounts.  This is why I use the LaRue mounts. 

Will it get out around a 50mm objective lense? I'll for sure look into it because only thing ADM makes is a scope ring with a angled piciteny rail section on it but it then to get the red dot on it raises the height weather is offset or piggy back, maybe not so much on the offset 1 but truly hard to say without seeing and experiencing it

I just don't want to ever have to drop my shoulders down and lift my cheek off stock, rather cram it down harder to get to a 45 mount off top of the main rail, which was my initial thought process for the future. I think with the ADM mount I'd be too high after the piciteny raising it up then almost all red dots that sit on piciteny also sit up higher themselves because of the base under them.

I still stick with my $0.02 opinion that it's damn hard to beat the the Leupold Mark AR mounts for durability, weight and price.  Bulletproof, 6 oz., $80.  Admittedly, I've never tried to piggyback a red dot onto one. That kind of engineering is over my head.  This does remind me though that I need to get out to the range to zero in a few rifles that I switched optics on over the winter, including my hunting Wyndham AR10.  Went from a 3-9x50 Leupold VX-Freedom (which got moved to the muzzleloader) to a Leupold VX6 2x12x42 that I picked up in a steal of a deal.  BTW, the Mark AR mount will also clear a 56mm objective - barely.  Where does the time go?

WW.jpg

DD.jpg

Honestly though the 2oz difference I won't ever notice and I know if I can just wait and spend the money on a LaRue I'll never have any worries plus option to mount red dot in future. If i can't bring myself to wait and save then I'll go aero with Valhalla hanger. I appreciate everyone's opinions but I believe I'm set on those 2 options only factor is money

LaRue makes excellent gear. I have lost track of how many of their MBT2S triggers I have purchased. I like their scope mounts as well.  Just have a hard time spending that much on a mount unless I'll be utilizing the QD feature.  Then, I go with LaRue. You will not be disappointed in the quality. Another feature of the LT158 is that it has 10 MOA of down angle built in, which is useful if you are shooting long distances.