• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Athlon scopes

HHH

I have a ar10 chambered in 308 I built mainly for hunting. I have been looking at getting an athlon scope to mount on it because of their raved reviews and my budget. I can't decide to get the argos 2×12 due to its lightweight, short length and cheaper price OR to spend the extra $200 get the midas 2.5×15 for the slightly better light transmission from bigger objective lense, higher magnification for identifying targets and slightly better glass quality with it featuring their "HD" glass. Some tips or experience with either would help. Thanks in advance

Don't waste your time or money on the lower budget Athlon optics . I had an Argos btr  gen 1 6x24x50 . after one month the parallax adjustment quit working  , I sent it back and they replaced the optic no problem . With in 2 month's the second one done the same thing  , I sent it back and they sent me a gen 2 model . I sold it with out ever mounting it on a rifle . If I were to buy another Athlon I would not shop below the Midas grade . they higher grade optic's are nice and a lot of user's are out there . As far as vortex optics go , I love them but I also stay away from the lower end like the diamond back line and on down .  the vortex venom would be my starting point  . I like vortex optics and if you look right now you can get a pst gen 2 on close out from several on line vendors . Vortex is changing the reticle from a solid line to a center dot and they are closing out the older model . I purchased aa gen2 3x15x44 for right at half price and love it . I run it on my 18 inch ar In tactical steel matches out to 700 yds . the strike eagle line is pretty nice also I have a 3x18x44 and a 5x25x56 they are an excellent value . I also have a gen 2 razor 4.5x27x56 . It is a great optic but it also comes at a big price and is pretty heavy to put on a gas gun . It lives on my prs bolt gun . If you are dead set on Athlon I would suggest you spend the extra 200.00 and get the Midas 2.5 x 15 . They are pretty nice for the money spent , I have been behind one and it's a nice optic .

I don't have a budget to put a $1000 optic on nor do I ever find myself in a hunting situation in Michigan to need 1 honestly. Athlon just had these 2 under $600 were in second focal plane which I prefer when hunting and illuminated retical. If you have better options in the $700 under range that are illuminated and SFP I'd definitely look into them

I considered the primary arms 2x10 I think it was... but I would like more than 10x for better target identifying but 2x or as close as I can for my heavy forest areas. That is only reason I looked into athlon and a lot of people had good reviews

I have a pretty big pile of Athlon scopes, and I don't agree with the one review above, on that original Argos 6-24 scope.  I'm sure he went through it, don't doubt it, don't deny it might have been a problem.  The Gen 2 line did a bunch of things, but the biggest benefit was all stainless internals.  That's a huge upgrade, without jacking the price up some crazy amount.  The Gen 2s are different animals than the original line.  I'll list it below, but my first Argos BTR 6-24 had a parallax problem.  I could adjust it for 100 yards, to zero the gun, but I was out there that day to shoot 1k yards with it.  Called them, SHOT was 2 weeks later, so I took it to them at SHOT Show, and they handled the warranty issue right there on the SHOT floor.  Drake.  This will come up later. 

Their warranty is legit AF.  If you ever have an issue with one of their scopes, they don't hassle you about it, you send it in, and you get a new one, not the same scope "repaired."  They stand behind that.

One of their district reps, Drake, used to run the warranty department.  He was my AZ district sales rep for a long time after that.  Great guy.  I noticed that their lifetime warranty indicated that you couldn't paint the scope.  While at SHOT Show, I asked Drake about this, and he asked me, "What are you painting it with?"  Told him Cerakote air-dry, and he told me to go for it, that will not void any warranty, and if that painted scope ever had an issue and I sent it in, to tell them that he said it was okay to paint it that way.  Right on, good enough for me.  :thumbup:

I have two of the Ares BTR Gen 2 HD scopes in 2.5-15.  They're phenomenal.  One is on a 16" Grendel, the other on the 18" LaRue 6 ARC gun (that's the one I painted).  I have two of the Helos BTR Gen 2 scopes, 2-12 magnification on a 12.5" 6 ARC, and the 4-20 magnification on a 16" 6 ARC, and they're great, as well.  I think I have three of the Argos BTR scopes in 6-24 magnification.  An original (pre Gen 2) on the .260 Rem, a newer Gen 2 on the 18.5" .308 gun, and a new Gen 2 to be put on the 18" 7mm-08 gun.  I trust them.  I'd suggest this scope for your .308AR, above all the other ones you listed, just because of the pricepoint, and the magnification range -  you'll appreciate that 6-24 magnification, more than you think right now.  However, if you're hooked on having SFP for the hunting scope, that Midas you're looking at would be a good choice.  I put an Argod BTR Gen 2 1-8 on the .358 Win gun, I have a Talos BTR 1-4 on a 16" .308 gun, and a couple of the Argos BTR Gen 2 4-14 FFP MIL scopes on some weird caliber small-frame ARs.  One is the 18" 25-45 gun, I think the other is a lightweight 18" Grendel. 

So, back to that Gen Original Argos BTR 6-24 (non Gen 2).  I got the new one, perfect in every way, but not long after that, they came out with the Gen 2 version.  Well, on a night shoot, I shot out the illumination on that scope.  Pull the trigger, the recoil would black out the scope.  We called Drake at 11pm that night, and he was laughing at us - "Tell him to SEND IT IN, and I"LL GIVE HIM A GEN 2 ALREADY!!!"   :lmao:   Well, I'll be damned - I changed the battery, and everything was perfect again, no problem.  Called Drake back...   He told me to put the old battery back in, and send it in anyway...   :banana:   I didn't do that, it's still on that .260 gun.  If I ever break it for real, I'll send it in, but so far, that hasn't happened. 

You can't go wrong with whatever you decide, based on your needs for the scope.  The people are great to deal with, if you ever find yourself in a "need" to do that.  They really stand behind the product, and they do that very, very well.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thank you very much for the fantastic information on your experience. I have used my dad's bench gun 6×24 scope on my 30-06 for hunting 1 year in a bind and found it bulky and too much magnification for some areas at 6x and never came close to 24x. How is your 2×12 in low light, dusk conditions? Do you notice a difference in the "HD" glass in their higher tier models? That'll be my deciding factors on what I get between the argos 2x12 and midas 2.5x15

20 minutes ago, HHH said:

Thank you very much for the fantastic information on your experience. I have used my dad's bench gun 6×24 scope on my 30-06 for hunting 1 year in a bind and found it bulky and too much magnification for some areas at 6x and never came close to 24x. How is your 2×12 in low light, dusk conditions? Do you notice a difference in the "HD" glass in their higher tier models? That'll be my deciding factors on what I get between the argos 2x12 and midas 2.5x15

There IS a difference in the HD glass, I'll say that right now. 

I shoot at night, ALOT.  My criteria for shooting at night is a different perspective.  I judge a scope's illumination differently.  If it can't dial down enough to shoot at night, and blow out the target - because it's too bright, and blows out the target - then it sucks, and goes on something else I'll never shoot at night.  Or, I'll straight out get rid of it.  Outright. Scope illum for me needs to dial down to "I almost can't see it, so I need to go up another click."  <<<  I'm happier that way.  "Too dim" on the lowest setting is WAY BETTER than, "lowest setting is SO BRIGHT it blows the target out with RED..." 

I've never had an Athlon scope that I can't dial down enough to shoot at night.  I'm talking 450 yards minimum, night, sometimes zero-illum from the moon, but more than not there's some illum.  There's almost always moonlight.  Can't get away from it. 

That 2-12 that I have is a different scope than you're asking about.  Mine is the Helos BTR Gen 2, 2-12.  It's is a badass little scope.  Dials down perfect, for the illum, fantastic glass quality edge to edge, clear, just love it.  You're asking about that SFP scope, and I don't own any SFP scopes.  The one you're asking about, 2-12, is the Argos HMR, this one, I think:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/argos-hmr-2-12x42-ahmc-sfp-moa/

^^^  Looks like there's a BDC version of that scope, and an MOA version of that scope.  Verify that the BDC version will match up to your caliber and muzzle velocity, before you buy it, it's that's the one you're looking at.  The MOA version won't matter for speed.  It's just MOA.

However, since you asked about the two of them, that Midas 2.5-15 blows it away.  FFP, though.  Holy Hell, is that a badass little scope. 

My $0.02. 

Keep asking questions  -we'll find the scope you need for you. 

I don't use bdc on any scopes just because my dad is a hand load wizard and constantly trying new things to get us better groups for our barrels and bullet/task application so try to stay away from those busy recitals and stick to moa or mil dot or hash mark recitals get my zero set and learn how the load shoots from there and write down dope if i like the grouping then memorize it before hunting season. The argos i believe is same glass as the helos just SFP and caped turrets based on info athlon gives but i could be very wrong there. If the HD glass makes a difference and I know the bigger objective lense will help in low light then that's the athlon scope I'd go with is midas hmr HD 2.5x15 but if you have other scopes in same magnification range that are sfp and illuminated for about $500-$700 I'm open minded and haven't clicked the check out box just yet but based on my budget I believe this is my best option

This is just my opinion on scopes for hunting rifles.  If you are going to do an EXPENSIVE hunting trip, like out to Colorado like we do in the Fall outfit your rifle with the very best scope yoiu can afford and a ROCK solid mount to secure it to the rifle.  I've never used anything on the rifles I take out West but Leupold and never had a single issue.  In almost all cases I bought solid one piece mounts for them.  They also get the living chit beat out of them as we're hiking in pretty rough country where a pretty bad "spill" or two is going to happen and often you're going to protect your fall more than the rifles.

If you are just deer or varmint hunting around the homestead or short local trips there are PLENTY of lesser quality afforable scopes out there that will make the grade.  I have found Vortex to be pretty decent for the price point.  Decades ago Tasco filled that void pretty well.  I didn't always have the money for the very best for all my rifles and "dabbled" around with various brands over the years, Weaver, Simmons, Tasco, Burris, Nikon, B & L, Redfield and Vortex were a few.  

These days there are so many options it will make your head spin looking thru them, most of the names I've never heard of.  I'd also add that many of the "big" names in scopes have went cheap and offshore/importing much of what they sell these days, so do your research.  I think Leupold even has an entry level line-up that's pretty low cost, but I'm not sure about where they are made or the quality.

Something else to note here when it comes to selecting hunting scopes is that I see folks buying HUGE scopes with a LOT of magnification.  That's OK but keep in mind that in all the years I've been hunting, even for Elk out West I have yet to kill one at a really long distance.  Actually most were less than 100 years and the vast majority less than 50.  I know, I know, we see TV shows ALL the time where they are taking Elk one mountain side to the other and using custom long range cartridges and scopes damn near as big as the rifle sitting under them.  I've NEVER encountered that scenario so don't plan for it.  Instead I use small scopes in either 1-4X or 2-7X and keep them on low power most of the time.  That way when you push up a big Bull or half a dozen of them blast right past you like their asses are on fire you don't see nothing but hair when you try to get a good bead on them!  

There is also the issue of weight.  Every ounce at 12,000' is like a pound when you are hiking or packing in WAY off the main roads to where the big Bulls are hanging out, another advantage of smaller/lighter scopes and rifles.

In any case even to this day I avoid low cost optics.  There are certainly a LOT of pretty cools ones out there, some do everything from provide night vision, send info to your cell phone, quick provisions for BDC, and even tuck you in at night and cook breakfast for you the next morning....and they are NOT overly expensive for all the options!  Even so I still have trouble buying "no-name" or "off-brands" as I've had poor success over the years deviating from "top shelf".  Right now down in the safe the cheapest scope on any of my rifles is the Burris .22 scope on the Ruger 10-22.  followed closely by a Vortex on my Varmint AR, a Burris on on of my 308-AR's and all the rest are Leupold Vari X in either 1-4 of 2-7 power.........

IMG_3374.thumb.jpg.96f8b3bb6a1da2af7969ad123233b62f.jpg

I fully agree with you. Name brands are a must but athlon has made a good name for themselves I feel like by reviews. I never shoot above 8x I don't believe but I do like having a little more power to identify rack points when looking across a field. What 1 piece mounts do you recommend?

Redfield makes excellent mounts for hunting rifles, but not sure if they are still doing that sort of thing.

Plenty of choices for AR platforms.  On the lower end the Weaver mount is decent, up higher Vortex, Leupold and Burris make some good ones.....

I think you will be happy with the Midas 2.5x15  thats a good magnification range and from my brief encounter with the 2.5x15 very decent glass . I would also agree the aero mount would be a good fit . seldom do I run my optic on top magnification but it's nice to be able to get a better view .  Good luck , that optic will get you from point blank out to as far as the 308 is effective . 

7 hours ago, HHH said:

Was thinking since I decided on the 2.5x15 midas which weighs about 6oz more than the 2x12 I'll save about that much if I get the aero ultralight mount to pare it with

If you do a search. The Aero ultra light mounts seem to give a lot of folks problems.

Do you have another lightweight option you'd recommend then? Hard to tell sometimes what reviews are legit and what ones are people that just got mad after a 1 in 1 million situation and no offense but everyone seems to have controversial opinions and few that are honest, bias and actually help to give other good options close to your budget that also meet your requirements. 

2 hours ago, HHH said:

Do you have another lightweight option you'd recommend then?

LaRue LT-158 mount.  The price is hard to swallow, at $258 now, but it's got 10 MOA built into it, and it's the lowest height-over-bore of any one-piece cantilever mount that they make (1.44").  It's this one:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-spr-s-mount-lt158/

It's worth it's weight on gold, QD levers for packing, guaranteed within 1/2 MOA if you take it off and remount it on the same gun, and I can vouch for a pile if these things.  I'd test them, and run over them with my truck, but people have done stuff like that for years already, just to prove that they're strong as shiit.  That 4-20 Athlon Helos is mounted in one, sitting on top of the LaRue 16" 6 ARC upper.  I honestly can't even count how many of these things I have, unless I pulled everything out and counted them, but there's a bunch.  I only deviated one time, and bought the LT-745 mount, because the 158 mount was so far backordered and I needed something quicker-than-waiting. 

Tell you what - if you decided on that mount, picked it up, and further decided you didn't like it - I'll buy it off you at full price paid, including what it took to ship it to you, and adding what it would take to ship it to me.  I believe in those mounts.  

Edited by 98Z5V

I'll definitely take a look at them because I'll be going up in price regardless of what i get now so waiting a little longer won't kill me. When i looked up on the fourm and found aero had problems with their mount I read a few people mention American defense manufacturing was another good option?

15 hours ago, HHH said:

I'll definitely take a look at them because I'll be going up in price regardless of what i get now so waiting a little longer won't kill me. When i looked up on the fourm and found aero had problems with their mount I read a few people mention American defense manufacturing was another good option?

ADM makes some great mounts - their flip-to-side magnifier mount is the only one I'll use, for the 3x magnifiers behind red dots.  .  When it all shakes out, they're only a little cheaper than a LaRue.  I'm not sure how much MOA you can get built into them.  I have one cantilever scope mount from them, from about the 2010 timeframe, I know for sure it didn't have any MOA built in, and I do like it.  Definitely wouldn't replace it with something else.  :thumbup:

Aero's mount is super light.
It can be a bit of a pain to get adjusted as the clamshell sort of single side fastener around the scope tube lends itself to the scope rotating slightly as the mount is tightened up around the tube. The fiddle factor can be annoying. I don't think they use helicoils for the fastener threads in the mount and I'm not a fan of direct threading into aluminum. I have one or two of them. For a cheap set and forget mount that you are not going to expect to abuse or change the optic out they can work. If you expect it to survive dropping the firearm on it by accident or you plan on switching the optic a few times I'd upgrade.

American Defense mounts are pretty solid. Several of them were mil qualified and have NSN numbers. I haven't kept up with them the past few years however.

I have a tendency to drop back on Warne QD rings as a balance between weight and cost. I've got them in different heights on everything from Savage bolt guns to small and large frame ARs. They aren't the lightest solution but so far no issues with them and they usually run between $65 and $108 depending on the tube size, ring height and how many folks are mass mounting scopes. On a bolt gun I tend to pair them with a one piece rail from precision reflex or EGW.

I picked up one of the new Midwest mounts at the end of last year that I'm looking to use for my next .308 AR build. I haven't lined up the optic yet.

The LaRue mount keeps tempting me but I haven't bit on it yet.