• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

bipod: VLTOR's ModPod?

soofley

I was going to get the Tango Down Advanced Combat bipod but they are out of stock everywhere. If anyone can suggest other bipod that are sold in FDE please let me know :D

what do you guys think about this Vltor modpod?? i know there's GG&G and Harris bipod but i'm not digging them as much as modpod. The only bad thing about modpod is there's no articulation especially for horizontal movement.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1059

IMG_0329.jpg

ye i agree it's not worth $200(where did you get yours for $150!). But  this bipod look kind of uniquely badass in my opinion. Then again it looks kind of an airsoft accessory.... BUT then again I am attracted to this bipod lol.

How about the Vertical movement? is it better more maneuverable compared to its horizantal movement?

For comparison, I have a Harris 3-9" LW BiPod...

Cons:

*The ModPod does not have spring loaded legs.

*The lock on the legs have three set position locks.

*The legs require two hands to manipulate. This is not a speedy bipod.

Pros:

*VERY lightweight

*The side mount leaves your bottom rail open, or in my case leaves room for my hand.

*Open and closed position is tight, no rattle.

*The side mount also creates a different fulcrum which allows a different element to stabilizing your rifle.

I have yet to actually fire a rifle with the ModPod installed. I have this installed on my .308 (still no barrel).  There is another option out there, if you can find it. CAA made a side mounted bipod for a while. I think it was discontinued. I'm not a big CAA fan, and eventually gave up on them. I'm pretty sure theirs only came in black. As for the $150 price tag, I think I got them on sale somewhere or my Brownells discount. I really dont remember. You can usually find them on forums for between $100-$150 depending on the time/location.

I have a Weaver Tactical bipod, it was on sale for $99 clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months back.

No springs on the legs, no preset positions, lightweight, can be locked or rocked side to side.  It has no transverse movement.  I like it quite well.

I did take all the screws out and locktite them in place.

Ace Hardware sells tan spray paint.

Jon

I bought the cheaper alternative from Command Arms.

Think I paid about $110.00

I prefer the side mount bi-pods for bench rest as it lowers the center of gravity, helps eliminate the rifle torquing to the right when firing.

Don't need much adjustment left or right when shooting from the bench.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at getting the same ones for my newly built 308 as well.  I like the fact that the side mount leaves your bottom rail open to be able to hold the weapon still.  I like the fact they disappear when not in use.  They also seem easy enough to take off when needed/wanted to. 

I am hoping to purchase them next month when my extra check comes in.

• 4 months later...

I know it's been awhile, and you probably have a bipod by now, but I have tried Tango Down, GG&G, Vltor, Harris, and maybe another, and my favorite one BY FAR is the B & T Industries Atlas Bipod. It goes from 4 3/4" to 9" and you can get 3" extensions if you need them. You can get all kinds of different feet for it, and it swivels every way you can think of. It also folds up towards the front or rear of the rifle. If you try the Atlas, I'd be willing to bet you won't go back to anything else. It will run you about $210. If you want to go HEAVY duty the X-Caliber bipod is made for the AR-10 on up to a .50BMG. They run about $300. Good luck!

I know it's been awhile, and you probably have a bipod by now, but I have tried Tango Down, GG&G, Vltor, Harris, and maybe another, and my favorite one BY FAR is the B & T Industries Atlas Bipod. It goes from 4 3/4" to 9" and you can get 3" extensions if you need them. You can get all kinds of different feet for it, and it swivels every way you can think of. It also folds up towards the front or rear of the rifle. If you try the Atlas, I'd be willing to bet you won't go back to anything else. It will run you about $210. If you want to go HEAVY duty the X-Caliber bipod is made for the AR-10 on up to a .50BMG. They run about $300. Good luck!

Great, now you went and did it !!! My Sinclair Tactical Bipod arrived yesterday, and i was perfectly happy with it till i read this, and said well let me at least see what it looks like before i reply to this...So i search around and find this video, that says, "If you like your bipod don't watch this video" i said to myself "yeah right"...Well guess what , today my Sinclair went back, this Atlas is what i've been looking for, thanks five_seven for posting it...There were several things i didn't like about the Sinclair, but i thought i could live with them, but the main thing was the 15 degree left to right movement the Atlas has plus the foward and back position of the legs...Here is the video that changed my mind...