• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Guy...long time RRA owner

Edge

Hi there, I found out about this forum from another member and thought I would come and check it out.  I'm glad to see another place that has discussions about the LAR-8.  I've had one since they first came out, a 16" mid length model, but have since sold it because I didn't use it that much.  I still have my LAR-8 26" Varmint model though.  I probably will never get rid of it, mainly because it is just darned accurate.  In fact it's the most accurate Semi-auto that I've ever owned!  (and I've had one of every major manufacturer).  I should say that this is my second Varmint model, because I had a problem with the first one.  The BHO rod broke and jammed the piece that broke off up into the chamber.  RRA was great and replaced the whole rifle within about 2 weeks.  This second one is every bit as accurate as the first one was.

I usually shoot my own reloads.  I've found that it really like 180 gr Nosler ballistic tips.  I'm not sure why I started with those, as I usually shoot 175 match kings in my bolt guns.  I think I just had a bunch lying around and decided to try them out.  The first ones out were so impressive, that I haven't tried anything else.

Anyway here's a picture of a couple of targets and of my LAR-8's, of course I don't have the Mid-length any more.  I'm looking forward to discussing more on the LAR-8 with all of you!

d7391f1c0fbdbc1d272ddf98.jpg

0eefaecfa759276c26d04c68.jpg

a4c40ae18eb6a8f893c5a294.jpg

I like the LAR-8s also.  Have an Operator (Freedom Machine) and an Elite Operator (Liberty).

Wouldn't you know it, it changed my plans so now I have to reconfigure the Freedom Machine.

Dang unforgiven...mine only goes bang when I pull the trigger and it's loaded.  <lmao>

Don't shoot French-style!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they cared, because I told them what happened.  (I don't even recall seeing the note about reloads)  The funny thing is on one of the rifles I had shot nothing but factory ammo.  I was shooting Black Hills when it broke.  RRA did ask me to send them a couple of fired cases, which I did.  But I never heard back from them about the cases. 

To give you a bit of history on the BHO issue, I've actually broken 3 of them.  The first time it happened on my 16" mid-length.  I used a suppressor a lot on it, and thought that maybe the suppressor caused a pressure build up.  But RRA, didn't think much of it and just sent me a new BHO rod.  It was easy to replace and I never had any more issues with it.

The second time happened on my 26" Varmint.  It was a very bad break, as it shoved the top piece of the BHO up into the chamber and buggered it up badly.  RRA ended up replacing the whole rifle.

The third time was on the newly replaced 26" Varmint.  This one also shoved the top piece of the BHO up into the chamber, but RRA just replaced the BHO rod and polished up the chamber.

I asked them if they thought it was something that I was doing, but they did not think so.

So far, I've shot a few hundred rounds through the fixed Varmint model and haven't had any issues.  It has the most accurate .308 AR type rifle that I've shot to date.  A DPMS that I use to have came close to matching the accuracy, but it had major problems with reliability.

Hey Edge,

I have a RRA Predator, love it! Curious if RRA knew you handloaded, or even cared before they replaced your rifle?

I will say I was a little dissapointed to see that little note in the box with my new rifle about handloading and the warranty.