• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to ar

talon1

Hello all new here and to the AR biz, i'm building lr-308 and need some help. What i want to build is solid dependable 100+ yard tack driver. The one rifle i will grab if s*** hits the fan, dont need a long range gun i already have a built 300 ultra mag... with that in mind i already have the dpms 308 lower,+ parts kit, dpms upper without bcg and a vltor modstock with a heavy weight h3 buffer and a carbine spring from armalite. After that im not quite sure what to put in it not sure what bcg i want but the foward asist has got to function, i also want a 18inch threaded bull barrel with dpms's .936 4 rail gas block. But im not sure about which hand guard and fitment ive heard there is only one gas block that works. Also any other integral parts im forgeting about. Any advise would be very helpful thanks.

i agree, you are looking to build an overkill rifle. what you briefly described is an easy 600yd gun(up to 800 i would say), and unless you just love the look it seems you are going to duplicate what you already have. i would say if you haven't bought your barrel, slow down and read up on some threads here. my pws mk214 has a 14.5" barrel with a brake for 16.1 oal, and it hits 300 no problem

Well after looking at everything real hard i'm going for the .308. While i previously stated all i wanted was a 100+ yard rifle i rethought what should be core, and that is a light weight heavy hitter that will be fun to shoot, take down big game, and wont fail when i need it the most...., also not drain my bank account;) So lr-308 is it i've got lower,upper,chrome bcg,18" fluted sass bull barrel,vltor modstock,jp rifle length handguard, and misc parts n tools on the way! Hope to be out at the range by the end of the month trying loads and making noise:) Thanks for the input it did help me rethink why im building this rifle.

Well after looking at everything real hard i'm going for the .308. While i previously stated all i wanted was a 100+ yard rifle i rethought what should be core, and that is a light weight heavy hitter that will be fun to shoot, take down big game, and wont fail when i need it the most....,

Build a 5.56 gun.  Run Barnes 70gr TSX through it for serious business, and poop ammo for fun.  14.5" pinned barrel or a 16" barrel.  Based on what you've stated, that'll suit you a hell of alot better than a .308 AR.