• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BUSHMASTER SASS

Jonny

HI! I want to put a DPMS SASS fluted barrel on my new Bushmaster ORC but haven't been able to find out if anyone out there has put a DPMS SASS barrel on a Bushmaster.

Especially with the Bushmaster (BM) factory bolt/bolt carrier group. I have seen another topic about BM and DPMS being very compatible with each other so I have high hopes that I don't need to purchase a new bolt or will have head spacing issues . Just wondering if anyone knows about this??

they are the same company, both will be interchangable . you will be good to go, but to be honest you should probably get a new bolt to go with that barrel because your other bolt has been mated to the original and has already broken in with it. not sure if i worded that correctly,  i will be corrected if i'm wrong.

Thanks for your input! Only 80 rounds have gone through the rifle so far, so I think that ill try the original bolt but if not, I'll definitely be getting a new one.

I ordered a SASS barrel today (JSE Surplus has a great price on them) so I'll have to provide update this when I have have the head space checked in case someone else has the same crazy idea. Anyone who has something else to add on this topic please feel free to chime in.

Do you have any further explanation as to why other gas blocks wont work?Is it maybe because of the gas tube height? I ordered the .936 Troy gas block and it is on it's way this week. I hope that I can get everything to line up and function properly! I will do more research on the gas block for this barrel to see what I can find out though.

Found my own answer to this. You do need to use the taller DPMS .936 gas block in order to clear the area of the barrel that steps up immediately after the gas block area. Luckily DPMS sells a Micro SASS block for about $21 + shipping. Great advice and I'm glad that I can send the Troy gas block back before I open it. THANK YOU ALL SO FAR!

Well, I have the barrel installed and had a competent gun smith check the head space for me. All is well. I'm just waiting on the proprietary taller DPMS gas block to arrive next week so that i can test fire it. Much heavier now but still very manageable.

post-1786-136297273779_thumb.jpg

got it , the difference in the gas blocks was making my gas tube extend too far into the upper.  simple fix  tubing cutter removed 1/8" of the tube and works fine.

Something is not right here. Regardless of the GB you should not have to trim the gas tube. I fear your addressing the symptom rather than the root cause. Trimming the gas tube can affect the ability of the gas tube to seal with the gas key. Tread carefully

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to report as I finally had a chance to shoot 100 rounds through my Bushmaster with DPMS 18" SASS barrel yesterday. I had to cut down the gas tube(which made me nervous) about 1/8" and it cycled perfectly. During break-in I had 9 shot groups that I kept below 1 MOA with 147 grain Federal ammo which blew me away! Perhaps Ill get better groups in the next 100 rounds and with heavier grain ammo. Thanks for all of your help and replies with regard to this matter. <thumbsup>