• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy ya'll from Tennessee

LocoGringo

Howdy fellas and gals.  I'm from the East Tennessee area and found this forum with a search after I decided to quit bothering the 6.8 SPC members with questions about my DPMS .308.  They're a great group of enthusiasts, but it just didn't feel right asking .308 questions on a 6.8 forum.  Anyway, looking forward to learning more about the .308 AR platform.  Talk to ya'll later.

Howdy Loco !  You came to the right place...welcome aboard  btw Im a 6.8 owner....got two of em...both have arp barrels a 16" and 18"...my gal loves the 18".

:)  Wash

Thanks for the welcome.  You've definitely got a couple of good 6.8's then.  Mine's a Bison 16" side charger.  It's a blast to shoot (pun intended), but can't wait to start reloading to ease the pain on the wallet.

...can't wait to start reloading to ease the pain on the wallet.

Which is why I never went for a 6.8/6.5 set-up. Great rounds, but too spendy to feed (for me) even with reloading. I've never understood why 6.8 never gained larger traction within the shooting community.

And welcome to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never understood why 6.8 never gained larger traction within the shooting community.

Not trying to pick a fight, but 6.8 SPC is the second most popular caliber in the AR-15 behind only the 5.56/.223 and growing quite quickly.  For what it is capable of doing, it's very hard to beat.  Hunters are catching on quickly about the 6.8 and its ability to take medium size game to include hogs out to 300 yards with low recoil.  There are A LOT of ammo options as well. 

Thank you for the welcome Cman

Hiya  again Loco    Tell me if this same thing happened to you?

you been shootin .556's for a long while....and loved the heck out of em....sooo you get ahold of the 6.8...shoot it..and then shoot the .556 again after shootin the 6.8....and wonder why you have been shootin a .556 popgun? <laughs> sooo then you get a 308...well, you get the drift <lmao>  Wash

Hiya  again Loco    Tell me if this same thing happened to you?

you been shootin .556's for a long while....and loved the heck out of em....sooo you get ahold of the 6.8...shoot it..and then shoot the .556 again after shootin the 6.8....and wonder why you have been shootin a .556 popgun? <laughs> sooo then you get a 308...well, you get the drift <lmao>  Wash

Naw, my experience was a little different.  My first AR purchase was a 5.56, but the "brand" was questionable...it was a Hesse.  Don't laugh, I bought it when I didn't know anything back in '98 and thought all black rifles were the same and used the insurance money I got from the insurance company after my car stereo system was stolen for a 2nd time.  It shot great and I never had a malfunction, but it had that damn permanent carry handle that got in the way.  Fast forward to 2005 and I sell my cowboy guns and get an AR-15 with a flattop and rails (still didn't know much more) for 3-gun competitions that my club is going to begin hosting.  That rifle has morphed through 3 different sighting systems (and it's still not completely right, but better), 2 different front handguards, 2 different muzzle devices and 2 different gas blocks.  It's been an expensive learning process, but that rifle shoots nicely.  Then I got this premonition that I needed an AR in .308, found a fantastic deal on Gunbroker in 2007 and bought it.  It also has gone through many metamorphoses.  With all of my newly found knowledge about ARs I decided to get a 6.8 and built it up right from the start.  It certainly has been a learning process, but I've learned A LOT.  I will agree with you that shooting the 5.56 is rather unsatisfying now.  It's definitely a sickness.

Hi Loco  Wow, so you kinda took the fork in the road and then doubled back on the calibers?  Our 6.8's gobble up silver state pro hunter 110 gr and also the hornady vmax 110....your bison has got to be a tack driver...what does it like to eat? :)  Wash

It LOVES Hornady 120 SSTs.  I was working on a 5 shot group at 3/4 MOA until I threw the last shot that made it a full 1 MOA.  I also have the Nikon Monarch 2-8 with the BDC reticle.  I would have preferred the regular, but that wasn't an option since I got this one from Gunbroker for $200 very slightly used.  Just to test it out, I zeroed it with the Hornady 120 and tried the SSA 115 at 200 using the BDC.  To my surprise, it actually worked and worked quite well.  I would have no problem using that reticle for hunting.  Of course, I would try the actual hunting ammo first.  I've only tried 4 types of ammo so far, but if I do my part, it definitely does its part.  The only ammo I've found it doesn't like is the Sellier and Bellot, but I haven't tried (and won't try) Remington. 

What kind of velocities are you getting out of your 18" ARP?  I would love to have something from H, but don't have the funds right now.  At the very least I might upgrade my 6.8 bolt to one of his bolts as I only have the Stag right now.  That's the weak part of the 6.8. 

I doubled back because I bought a lifetime hunting license for my son in the state of Tennessee for $200 and a 6.8 with a 16" barrel would be plenty of rifle to hunt deer without beating him up.  I'm not sure, but his mama is kinda small, so he might be kinda small.  I was also thinking about the possibility of making "major" in 3-gun matches if I decided to get serious.  Do you handload? 

Hi Loco    Im not reloading at the momnet,but gettin the itch...used to reload shotgun shells,but that cost me wife number  2 <laughs> geez I was only loading a thousand a week...hmmm..maybe cause I was shootin a thousand a week too! <lmao>

both of h's barrels love the ss 110 prohunter and even the hornady vmax 110....S&B not so much..wont use the remmy either

we have nikon buckmasters 6x24 mildots on these rifles and hitting 200/300yd steel swingers is easy peasy...

Wash