• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

WTB: POF, LWRC, Hogan, or Noveske .308

Five_Seven

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an AR type .308 by POF preferably, but I am also interested in Noveske, LWRC, or Hogan. I am wanting a 14.5", 16.5", or possibly even the 20" POF 308 with the NP3 coated receivers and the Hunter/Sniper rail, but as long as it has the NP3 I could deal without the other stuff. I've found 4 places that have them online for $2,439-$2,495 new in box, but every one has a pretty good wait. I think Class 3 Weapons was the shortest wait at around a month or so, but I would like one now if at all possible. I found 1 on Gunbroker in that price range, but the seller has a different definition of "new" than I do, because it is scarred up pretty good. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Five_Seven

post-1926-13629727474_thumb.jpg

I should have narrowed it down a little better than I did. I just sold a Springfield M1A Bush Riflew with a factory folding stock online and I got $2,190 for it, and I really don't have a lot of extra cash to put with it so the most I can really pay unless I found some awesome deal on one that was really fixed up I only have around $2,500 to spend. I've been watching GB every day, but in that price range and brand new in box I have only seen a POF P308 w/ NP3, the Hunter/Sniper rail, and 14.5" barrel for $2,499 and the POF P308 w/ OD Green Cerakote, Hunter/Sniper rail, and 20" barrel for $2,599 and i don't really like the A2 type stock on it or the 20" barrel. The exact rifle I am wanting is the POF P308 w/ NP3, Hunter/Sniper rail, and a 16.5" barrel. I really like the 14.5" too, but I may suppress it and it has the permanent muzzle brake on it. I asked a guy on GB that had the 14.5" model if he had or could get the same rifle with a 16.5" barrel and yesterday he said no, but about 30 minutes ago he emailed me and said he just got 1 in. I asked if it has the Hunter/Sniper rail, and I'm just waiting to hear back from him. If it does I'm going to grab it. When you said the LWRC's come with nicer furniture which pieces are you talking about? And would you spend the few hundred extra and get the LWRC over the POF? I really like the looks of the POF, and I love the NP3 on some of the internals and the outside of the receivers, but besides the furniture are there any other things better on the LWRC? There is one of those here locally for $3,000 with a bipod like new, but I really don't want to spend that much unless there is a big advantage over the POF. I wish POF would have stayed with the Vltor stock over the Magpul MOE, but maybe when i get the extra cash I can get a UBR or something for it. Thanks for your help brother.

J

I was comparing the 20"POF to the 20" REPR, both are fine rifles <thumbsup>

REPR -Magpul PRS Buttstock

POF- A1 Buttstock

REPR- Magpul Miad grip

POF - Magpul MOE grip

REPR- Geissele 2 stage adjustable trigger

POF - Tactical Integrated Trigger System 4.5 lb. non-adjustable single stage

REPR- Troy sights standard

POF - Iron sights optional

REPR- 4 position gas regulator

POF - 2 position gas regulator

REPR -removable top rail to access piston

POF - Not that I can tell?

REPR- Side charging handle w/foward assist

POF - Standard rear charging handle

Yes I own a 20" REPR & NO i'm not dogging the POF,it's a top shelf rifle no doubt!... Have you looked at the LaRue's? http://www.laruetactical.com/16%E2%80%9D-larue-tactical-predatar-762

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I still haven't grabbed one yet. My older bro had a pretty bad spill on his Razor and has been in Vanderbuilt Hospital for awhile, so it got thrown on the back burner....But now I'm back on the hunt! Man, I totally forgot about the side-charging handle on the REPR, which I really like. I guess what really caught my eye on the POF is:

1. It has a little different look than most of the other AR .308's

2. I've found them for $2,349 + $20 shipping, which is in my price range

3. I have the NP3 coating on a pistol and I realy like it, and the different look it has from most AR's

And more than likely, no matter what kind of optic I put on it, I'll probably end up never shooting it over 300 yds, and I'd say all of the AR .308's wil do that pretty well. BUT, the LWRC that is for sale here locally has an Atlas bipod, AAC muzzle brake (and factory one also), Spiral Fluted barrel, Magpul UBR, Gieselle trigger, and 10 Pmags and he says he will take "around" $3k, but I've heard that before only to find out the next day or 2 they want retail price for every add-on so I'll try to get a definite price on it.

Hey Blksheep, you said the REPR has a 4 position gas regulator and the POF only has a 2 position. What is the advantage of the 4 position? I know what a regulator does (if it serves the same purpose as the ones I install Pipefitting lol) but have no idea what it does on these rifles. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I know a DPMS would fit the bill and save money, but I'm kinda stuck on one of these or something similar. Thanks a bunch guys!!

5-7

Hey Blksheep, you said the REPR has a 4 position gas regulator and the POF only has a 2 position. What is the advantage of the 4 position? I know what a regulator does (if it serves the same purpose as the ones I install Pipefitting lol) but have no idea what it does on these rifles. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I know a DPMS would fit the bill and save money, but I'm kinda stuck on one of these or something similar. Thanks a bunch guys!!

5-7

The 4 positions on the regulator are closed , adverse,normal & suppressed. Adverse & closed are the extra 2 on the repr and you really shouldn't need them, adverse would be used if your rifle got really dirty like full of sand or mud, it will dump more gas to operate the bolt.Closed might be used by a sniper so his casings didn't get thrown all over and have the enemy find his hide later, i'm not sure but you may get a little bit more accuracy firing it closed like a single shot, maybe someone else will chime in on that. Only you can decide what to do & how much to spend <dontknow> but check out the video examples of adverse :cookoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZA266WJ5_c  ;D

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/nineisfine2/?action=view&current=REPR762mm.mp4

Well...I didn't get either one, but it's pretty close =) and I only have a week or so to wait. I ran across a good deal on a new Hogan H-308 Sniper Elite with the Tactical "X-Rail" that I've never seen on them before. I guess it's fairly new, because most Hogan & POF's I see are almost identical. The only differences I can see are:

*The "X-Rail" system (think that's what they call it) on the Hogan

*In addition to the receiver's, Hogan coats the charging handle in NP3 too

*Hogan stuck with the nicer (just my opinion) Vltor stock over the MOE

*Hogan uses the ERGO grip over one of the Magpul's POF uses

*Different muzzle brake's

*AND, POF's don't come with a "Hogan vinyl sticker" which made it easy to choose once i noticed that.

I really didn't want a 20" barrel, and I like the Hunter/Sniper rail a little better, but no big deal. I really appreciate everyone's input, and I took all of it into consideration. The LWRC is an awesome rifle, and i love the side charging upper, but I just didn't have that much cash right now. The Larue is a sweet rifle, and was in my price range, but something about the look of the POF's/Hogan's kept calling me. I love the Noveske's too, but like the R.E.P.R. it's a little outta my range right now. I was fixing to get a POF 308 for $2,380 shipped I think was the best price I could find and in stock too, when I ran across this one for a little less and has the stock and a couple other things I like better. Again, I really appreciate all the info guys. really glad i ran across this forum!! Take care.

5-7

here's a picture of the rifle i ended getting, but it has a longer barrel and the tactical rail up top:

post-1926-136297275093_thumb.jpg

Man to be honest I had never heard of Hogan rifle's until about 6 months ago when I did a search for AR-10's and one popped up. I've spent a bazilion hours online checking into a bunch of different AR 308's and from what I understand Hogan had been making POF's rifle's for awhile until just recently. When I first saw it I had never heard of them so I thought it was probably the opposite, but looks like I was wrong =). They use to look identical pretty much, and they still look very close to the same. It's on AR15.com, but it ha something to do with both companies not being able to agree on something so the business between them stopped here pretty recently. Hogan made a few changes like the X-Rail system, muzzle brake, and a few other things I think I mentioned in an earlier post. There is talk of them working the problem out, but i have no clue to be honest. I asked the owner of Hogan a few questions yesterday and he was super helpful. Hopefully it will turn out ok =). Take care guys.