• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

POF/DPMS build

Jgun

I'm thinking about buying a matched upper/lower set from Iron Ridge.

Very nice...  <thumbsup>

I see something on the top of their upper where it says 23 MOA Is that a negative angle built into the top of the rail for shooting long distances? If so will that give me any trouble shooting close up off hand? I plan to build the gun with a 18.5" barrel and don't expect to be shooting beyond 300 YDS very often. My local range is only 200yds.

That is built in scope offset, for long(er) range shooting.  To shoot in closer, you'll have to zero closer (and have a scope capable of the adjustment range), and you'd lose some of that uber-longrange capability that's built into the upper (without re-zeroing). 

One thing to remember about the DPMS uppers ,they are extruded ,then machined. Not billet ,like there 308 lowers.

I'm not really sure if it means any thing . I know they have been in a hurry for the last year to make orders up . Another thing is ,maybe some blems are going to the parts side & the nice ones are going on rifles built by them , who knows .

I know one thing ,I am going to try NOT to use DPMS parts when possible.

So now I'm exploring my options for a matched upper/lower receiver set to build on. Based on what I see on this forum, I see that the sets from Iron Ridge , JD Tech and Kaiser would all be options. I have some reservations about the Iron Ridge because of the 23 MOA angle built into the top rail. I don't expect to be shooting this gun at extremely long range, simply because no suitable ranges are available in my area. The JD Tech looks like a good part and I might go with it.The other choice is the Kaiser receiver set. Has anyone had any experience with the Kaiser rifles or receivers? Any information or advice is appreciated. I'd like to get it right this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Fulton Armory 18.5" barrel and PRI gas block arrived this week. Now I have to pick a muzzle brake/FH/comp. I see ones from Fulton (Bennie Cooley), Primary Weapons Systems, Surefire, and of course PRI. I've only had experience with the PWS, the Vortex and the Surefire, all on AR-15 platform rifles. No experience on a .308. Can anyone give any advice or opinions on them, any experience/preferences?

That Bennie Cooley from Fulton is supposed to be the best of the best for the .308.  I haven't shot one of those, so I can't give first hand experience on it; just passing on what I've seen others say about it.

I'm running the YHM .308 Phantom "combo comp/flash suppressor" on mine, on the Fulton 18.5" barrel.  It does very, very well at the flash suppression part.  It kicks like a damn mule, though, so I'll tell you that it's MUCH better at flash suppression than it is as a comp.  <laughs>

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a preliminary mock up of the POF/DPMS to see how it looks. I still don't have a BCG or buffer/spring. I expect to use a DPMS BCG by default, I don't know what other options I have. As for the buffer and spring, I could use any input or advice that you guys can offer. The A2 flash hider is temporary until I decide what I really want.  After this and the Kaiser are done I'm going to have to start saving for some glass, I don't have any optics for these type of guns.

post-164-136297264073_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

I'm still toying with the idea of milling the upper to match the POF lower more closely, I guess I'll see if I find myself with free time on my hands between now and when I pick up the BCG, and buffer/spring. I think the LaRue rail looks and feels better than the POF rail. I did a bathroom scale weigh in, and it's a little less than 9lbs right now so I guess it will be around 10lbs unless I switch to a CTR stock.