• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Safety malfunction after installing timney trigger.

OKMike

Just installed the AR 308 trigger in my DPMS AP4, it functions fine while manually cycling the action but during live fire the safety engages after each shot. You must return the safety lever to the safe position then back to the fire position and it will shoot again, then you must repeat the whole procedure to get it to fire again. What gives?

This is my first experience swapping parts on ARs so I may have done something wrong.

Thanks

Mike

Yes, I replaced the grip with a magpul, tried the factory grip and same issue. I just removed and re-installed the trigger group and upon further testing I realized if I hold the trigger to the rear and cycle the action I can mimic the action when firing live rounds. It is like the trigger doesn't reset fully until you engage and disengage the safety. The gun is virtually new (less than 100 rounds) so a weak spring due to age shouldn't be an issue. Hmmmm

Problem solved!!! Thanks for the replies.

While looking at the trigger before original install (and playing with it), it mousetrapped and flipped out of my hands. While reassembling trigger I left out the spring that goes under the hammer bar that helps to reset trigger. Reinstalled spring and now I am good.

Learned my lesson there lol

Once again thanks for the time and the suggestions.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds to me like you may have a weak or lost safety detent spring..... Did you have the handgrip off lately???

This is a good catch!  I just installed a Rock River Two Stage Trigger in my DPMS LR 308.  For those who have never removed the pistol grip, the detents and springs for both the rear takedwon pin and safety lever are held in by the pistol grip.  I haven't seen that in the drop-in trigger instructions yet.  There aren't many parts in an AR, but you need all of them to operate safely.

JK