• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

shooting down hill

telluwhat

I don't have a "proper" level place to shoot yet but I finally have a very nice down hill range. I have not measured it, I guess I should do that next. My guess is that it is maybe 100 yards. The angle is steep at estimated 15° to 20°. I am wondering how much this is going to affect my sighting of target vs retical, if any, at this short of distance? I am shooting in my back woods down towards the creek. All the level areas are way to short, even for fun with a 22. I have not yet used this new spot yet. I want to set up some sort of decking or something flat to shoot from instead of laying on the dirt. My target will have a 2" thick steel back stop and if i miss real bad there is a 4 foot diameter tree right there. So it should be very safe. If some how it gets past all that the next stop will be the creek another 15" away. No getting past that. LoL end of the hill, end of the line.

Shooting down hill , there will be ground or as you said water in the way eventually, so it is safe .

15-20 should not make much difference , but there will be a little . Its the long range steep angles , where it gets tricky.

I have a magazine at work ,I think its called Sniper & it has a article about extreme angle shooting ,maybe two . I will look it over & see what is says about ,what kind of angles you have to start thinking about & how to adj. & or what effects there are .

If you don't have a way on the scope [like a ring where you can set what you got] how about a piece of painters tape to mark what you have so if you need to adj. elevation or windage you'll be back where you started brother.I 've taken to favoring the side I need,like need more right or left and don't adj. windage just my .02.

If you don't have a way on the scope [like a ring where you can set what you got] how about a piece of painters tape to mark what you have so if you need to adj. elevation or windage you'll be back where you started brother.I 've taken to favoring the side I need,like need more right or left and don't adj. windage just my .02.

My scope is a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 6-18 x 50mm. It does have marks to know how much is adjusted. One can even reset the zero to your new sighting if you had a mind to. As far as scopes go it was not expensive but what I could afford. So far as i can tell it works.

I would just shoot a sighted in rifle at your new down sloping range and see how far higher it hits for reference.

Ah there is the rub. This will be the furthest distance I have shot with my still "new" Bushmaster ORC 308. I can sight it in on the tree if i get a ladder down there to put up some paper. LOL

20 degrees at 100yrds will likely be less than the moa of your rifle so you will not notice it, if you have a smart phone there's apps that will calculate any angle/distance for you. I like "Bullet Flight " by Knights, I also have "Shooter" it's FREE <thumbsup>

OK I was thinking that because it was suh a short range for the rifle that I would never notice anything but the joy of shooting. I am glad to have such a resource as this site and it members. Thanks. I can't wait to get out there. I know it will only make me want to find a longer range.  8)