• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magazine capacities on .22

telluwhat

Have you ever tried stacking a rimmed cartridge? If there was such a thing as a .22auto (not to be confused with the failed .22 Win Auto), you would see astronomical magazine capacities. As far as the rimmed case goes, you are very limited in the

The Ruger rotary magazine is the only mag I have used flawlessly, and they top out at 10 rounds. I have some 10/22 mags that are well over 20 years old, and they cycle like they were just purchased yesterday. I have tried the 25 round banana and 50 round drum, and suffered failures in both.

I hear that the Kel-Tec P30 chambered in .22WMR can hold 30 rounds... I also hear that IF you can manage to squeeze that many rounds in, the magazine walls bow out so much you can't fit the mag inside the pistol.

To my knowledge, there has only been one ultra high capacity .22lr handgun that worked... That's the Calico M-110 Pistol

I have a reminton rifle with a couple of 30 round mags. So far they work fine, no miss feeds or jams. When they wer new it was tight to load but much easier now.

I had not concidered the problems you mentioned and can see problems. Maybe a 22 is not what I want. I will have to think on it so,e more.

Thanks for the insights to problems.

I'm working on a .22 Magnum semi-auto rifle of my own design. I once tried making my own magazines and it was hard as heck. I ended up resorting to factory mags. That experience has given me good insight to why they don't mess with large capacity in rimfire ammo.

That said, they DO make a large capacity magazine for .22LR 1911 pattern handguns if I'm not mistaken. I hove no idea how well they work. I think it was either Midway or Brownells I saw advertising them.

You want a high cap, low caliber, pistol.... FN 5.7 with mag extensions! 30 rounds of high velocity death!

That is a very interesting handgun, I like it.

I know I want a 1911 so the conversion ki may work to save $ on ammo for that one, but knowing about the FN 5.7 makes me want that too. Too many nice firearms out there. Wish I could get them all.

Single column banana magazines should be pretty easy to feed well. It's when you make them straight and/or double column that it gets tricky. I'm sure even that is doable. It just takes allot of design, testing and so on. The trouble it takes to make it happen suggests motive for why it doesn't get done very often.