• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PRS fitment

Jgun

Maybe someone can remind me, I seem to recall that the AR 15 PRS stock is supposed to fit the large plaform guns, but that some modification is needed. Does it use a different buffer tube, buffer and spring than the large platform version? Don't you have to trim the cheek riser or something, for charging handle clearance?

If I'm getting this right, your saying that aside from the cheek piece of the .308 version being shorter in the front to accomidate the longer stroke of the .308 charging handle, they are identical, is that correct? I remember seeing a post where someone was showing how he cut the cheek riser in the front for CH clearance. I just wasn't sure if they used different buffer tubes and internals, Don't the PRS stocks require A2 buffer tubes and rifle buffers? are the large and small platform parts the same in this regard? 

I might opt to go with the block, just to keep all of the buffers and springs in my .308's the same. I always like the idea of being able to swap parts between guns in a pinch if I need to to keep a gun running until I can order the replacement part. The reason I was asking is because, if I can use either AR 15 or AR10 PRS stocks, it increases my chances of finding a used one at a good price.

A1 buffer tube.  No A2 5/8" extension on the end of it. 

For the record, rifle length buffer tubes are all "A1s."  They're all the same length.  To fit an A2 stock, or any other stock that's "A2" length, then you use the 5/8" extension on the end of the tube, and the longer vented screw.

If you order just the rifle buffer tube and the short screw, you'll be fine.  If you order an A2 "kit," you'll receive a 5/8" spacer that you can't use, and a longer vented screw that you can't use.  The PRS comes with the appropriate-length vented screw, so don't sweat that part.  <thumbsup>

Got it, I've ordered a .308 PRS stock so I won't need to modify the cheek riser. From what I'm getting from your last post, all I need is the buffer tube to be able to use the rifle length buffer, but if I'd like to go with a carbine buffer and spring, I'll need the spacer for the inside, correct?

Got it, I've ordered a .308 PRS stock so I won't need to modify the cheek riser. From what I'm getting from your last post, all I need is the buffer tube to be able to use the rifle length buffer, but if I'd like to go with a carbine buffer and spring, I'll need the spacer for the inside, correct?

Anytime you run those .308 carbine buffer parts in a rifle tube, you'll need that adapter setup for the inside of the tube.  Larue, for that stuff.  <thumbsup>

http://www.laruetactical.com/762-adapter-kit

img_2537.jpg

I thought I'd like to run one of Slashes Xheavy carbine buffers and spring even though I'm going with the PRS, for reasons of commonality of parts with all of my CTR stocked .308 AR's. I've actually never used a rifle length buffer, tube,or spring on any AR I've built. Does anyone believe that there is any function advantage to the rifle buffer and spring vs the Xheavy carbine buffer and spring?

• 2 weeks later...

PRS got here tonight and having never used one before, I must say it's a pretty neat stock. Heavy as hell but rock solid and the click LOP and cheek riser adjustments seem very well done. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to this being a big (long), heavy, rifle, but with the 20" barrel I ordered it wasn't going to be compact anyway.