• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

XD compact 40 shooting low

6132expert

I am shooting at a 1x6 with a target on it and destroying the right edge of the target. I am shooti g 180 win also. I am going to get somemore ammo tomorrow and fire somemore right now I am only 50 rounds through it so maybe just maybe the next 50 I can get them over and up. I think if the keep going to the low and right I am going to change my POA and see what happens to POI.

I get this a LOT with students complaining about XDs and GLOCKS, some of the other "combat pistols".

To a person, they are holding the sights with a 6 O'clock hold.  With a combat sight setup, rather than using the 6 O'clock use a dead-on sight picture (sights aligned with the front sight obscuring/blocking out where you would like the bullet to impact).

For the bullet impacting right issue, MAKE SURE YOUR PISTOL IS UNLOADED AND NO AMMO IS PRESENT, then run some dryfire drills.  You should be able to maintain a perfect sight picture while squeezing the trigger normally.  I have some pistols where my technique must be absolutely PERFECT, for as the trigger breaks my tension on it pushes it left or pulls it right, or heels it down a bit.

Dryfiring will also help you if you have developed a flinch you are not aware you are doing.

Jon

I will give it another run soon, but like I said I know some of this could be me. I know I am not anticipating the shot and closing my eyes cause I can see the flames coming from the end of the barrel! Now does that mean Im not muscling the gun, NO. I can tell you this when I fire I am aiming POA the rounds are hitting to the right but after I fire the end of the muzzle is to the left of the target. Maybe it is more me then what I think after thinking about it over night.

Heeling, and Recoil Anticipation - those are very different, brother.  <thumbsup>

To see if you're heeling, check your grip tension with your firing hand...

With only the firing hand grip the pistol and sight on a target (unloaded pistol, of course  ;D).  Tighten your grip with your firing hand right up until you see your sights start shaking...  Loosen the grip slowly, until the sights stop shaking, and become stable - this is the perfect grip tension with your firing hand.  With that, there will be no heeling at all.